• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum Soldiers

niferous

I would love to have a TBM-3 Avenger. But with only E-5 pay I guess I will have to stick to trucks.:D
My grandad flew in those during WWII off the Enterprise. After the war he trained on Helldivers which he said he liked more. The reason being that with the Avenger they would fly in low to Japanese ships and then drop their torpedos. After they did that the pilot would bank away from the ship exposing the belly. My grandad said his job after he dropped the torpedo was to get off his chair and then lay down on this little piece of metal plate. He had a .30 cal machine gun that stuck out the bottom that he was then supposed to basically rake the deck of the ship with it.

He's always amazed that he was never killed or even hit. Crazy times back then.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My grandad flew in those during WWII off the Enterprise. After the war he trained on Helldivers which he said he liked more. The reason being that with the Avenger they would fly in low to Japanese ships and then drop their torpedos. After they did that the pilot would bank away from the ship exposing the belly. My grandad said his job after he dropped the torpedo was to get off his chair and then lay down on this little piece of metal plate. He had a .30 cal machine gun that stuck out the bottom that he was then supposed to basically rake the deck of the ship with it.

He's always amazed that he was never killed or even hit. Crazy times back then.

Thanks for sharing that story.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks