• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axles locked

VMS1942

I purchased a 1942 Jeep GPW to restore. The front axles are locked, can't push or pull the vehicle. We used a front end loader to lift the front of the jeep while loading on my trailer.

When the front tires are off the ground you can turn the wheels, but they turn opposite of each other. one turns the opposite way of the wheel you are turning.

How do I free up the axles?

Thanks

Greg

KsM715

Disconnect the front driveshaft and see if that makes a difference. Driveshaft disconected and free wheeling axle means something in the transfer case is locked up. with the shaft disc. and the front is still locked but the wheels turn in opposite dir. means your pinion gear is frozen.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
To temporarily free them up in order to move it around, you can remove the front drive flanges.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
As they said...pull the drive shaft. That's very common with these old jeeps.
Just take it apart, clean/lube everything and put it
back together.

We've done several that were "locked up" from setting, haven't had to buy/change out a part yet:-D

Caution...just don't try to force it to roll:shock::shock:

White666

Ditto what they said, those early front dana's are also bad about breaking off ring gear teeth when they are abused (think spinning in the dirt, then hitting asphalt), that will lockup a diff quicker then sh!t...ask me how I know.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

you will be pleased

with a simple and quick fix of that problem..FREE off the (propshaft) external contracting handbrake and you (it) are good to go. common fault that on the MB's.

Kendoe

You have and open differential for sure , The counter rotating wheels are your spider gears doing what they were disigned to do. Sounds like your transfer case , but it is easier to pull a diff cover to make sure you dont have a ring or pinion tooth wedged in it somehow . If that isn't it I would pull your t-case cover and look at your shift fork and make shure it isn't looked in 4 HI and four low at the same time ask me how I know well my Jeep CJ-7 had this happen last year and would stall if I tried to drive it! I.E. Broken shift fork alowed 4 hi and low to work against one and other . GOOD LUCK Kendoe:deadhorse:

VMS1942

I pulled the drive shaft and wheels are still locked. (glad the problem is probably not in the TC)

Today I will pull the differential cover and see what the story is.

I'll post what I find today. Thanks again guys!

VMS1942

Sorry, I forgot to post an update, thanks for reminding me.

I pulled the cover and cleaned out all the goop (hardened grease and sludge) What I found is the Pinion Gear is locked. The teeth on the ring and pinion and the spider gears look in good condition. It appears the pinion gear has a frozen bearing.

The holidays have delayed pulling the axles and removing the gear assembly so I can remove the pinion gear. I hope to get back at it next week.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all of you.

Greg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You should be able to remove the drive flanges from the front axle. That should allow you to at least move the truck for now. [thumbzup]

VMS1942

You should be able to remove the drive flanges from the front axle. That should allow you to at least move the truck for now. [thumbzup]

That is what I am going to do today. Clinto made the same comment earlier.
I just picked up a driveable 43 Jeep frame and drive train. I am going to build this one first and push the 42 aside for a later build.

Thanks to everybody for your help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks