• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

404 won't start!

pitbull

Hey there,

i went to take my friend for a ride in the unimog today and it would turn over. Not even a click. i checked the batteries and one shows 12.18 volts. Is there just the single soleniod on the starter? Is there anything else i should check before assuming it is the solenoid? Thanks...

SixSpeed

Banned
T answer your question, there is just the one solenoid on the starter. Its direct feed from the starter button.

If you haven't already done so, measure the voltage at the starter/solenoid and see what you get. If you have good voltage continue to...

If you have someone to help you, measure the voltage to the starter solenoid when the button is pressed. If you have good voltage continue to...

Measure the output voltage from the solenoid when the starter button is pressed. If you have good voltage, the starter motor is bad. (Probably not likely, since you can't hear the solenoid engage)

If you don't have good voltage to the starter solenoid I would check the battery master switch (I have seen it cause problems) and the connections. If those look good check your grounds.

If the starter solenoid doesn't have good voltage, check the starter button.

A little trick I use a lot if I am having starting problems is to turn the headlights on and then try to start it. If the lights go dim when you try to start, more than likely there is a bad connection at the batteries or they are weak.

Best of luck, let us know what happens.

coachgeo

Hey there,

....checked the batteries and one shows 12.18 volts....
is the battery cut off switch under the seat in the right position? Could try jumping past that to see if corosion in the switch is not an issue.

oh.. and ahhhh. it's a 24v starter right? So what is the voltage in the other battery, and in combination?

pitbull

Hi,

The switch under the seat is in the right position and i have just under 24 votls at the solenoid. All the battery terminals are super clean. Just waiting for someone to stop by so i can check the voltage with the button pushed on. It looks like the starter should be alot easier to remove/install then on the CUCV if the case may be!

pitbull

Hey,

I got a friend to push the button while i checked the voltage and there was plenty. I gave the starter a few more whacks with a hammer and still nothing. Finally i tapped on the solenoid while he pushed the buttom and away it went almost taking me with it! I forgot to tell to put the clutch in! It works fine now but i still might pull the solenoid and clean it up. Now i have to deal with the stripped starter bolt holes in the M1010. If anyone wants a smoking deal on a M1010 and a M1009 todays the day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks