• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a syncronized tranny available?

reamer

Is there a syncronized tranny available that will bolt up to a 1943 DOdge 230 Flathead. This is in a 3/4 ton command car. I would like to get it to shift easier.
Thanks
reamer

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 3/4 ton command car is a rare vehicle IMHO it would ruin it to put in a different tranny. do you know how to double clutch? That is all that needs to be done to shift smoothly.

armytruck63

I agree that learining to double clutch is the best solution. If you insist on a transmission change, an M37 transmission might work.

nattieleather

It would have to be one out of a M37B1 and even then you need to double clutch... :) You'de have to convert to a modern transmission which would mean some fabricating to make it work. I don't have a model number for you though sorry.

zak

The Canadian M37 Trans is synchronized 2nd thru 4th and should bolt up. A larger clutch is used but some flywheels where drilled for both sizes. But good luck on finding the trans , its kinda scarce. You may have to but the whole truck.

Attachments

Bill W

M-37 tranny will bolt up being both early m-37 and later B1 ( NP420 ) trannies were syncro'ed in 3rd & 4th gear however you'd probably have to cut the tranny floor pan to get the shift tower to fit and if it was mine I personally could not bring myself to do that, Half the fun of these old trucks is learning how to shift the old spur gear (Crashbox) trannies

Attachments

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

I think you should learn to shift and NOT ruin you commander.
However, if you will NOT learn it, the gear reatings of the T98 are the same as the Dodge ones from WW II. If you find a good T98 and a good mechanic and the bearings are the same size (which I do not know excactly) and the shifting plate fits to that, you have at least 3 syncronized gears.
Wolf

Milbikes

Hey, another Command car in CT! I am in Canton. Any pics of yours?

On another note, I have a Russian BMW copy sidecar bike, and the transmission crunched like crazy when I shifted...and I have been riding BMW bikes for years. Another Ural rider described double clutching (A variation of it) and now I can shift the bike smooth as butter. Previous to that, I had NEVER heard of anyone double clutching a motorcycle. H.

Attachments

reamer

Have not go t it yet, the wife is reeeeal bent out of shape! Still working on it though.
Where are you located?
I'd love to see it and how much work I have to replace the floor.
PM me if you can let me see it. I'm in Ashford
reamer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks