• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it even possible...

Bighurt

How do you guys pick-up and get your vehicles home.

To get a title you need an SF-97, to get an SF-97 you need to have the vehicle. The time required to process both is over 30 days. You have 10 days to pick-up a lot.

Temporary registration needs a title.

How am I suposed to pick-up my truck and drive it home?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on state you can drive it home (assuming in working condition) with bill of sale and insurance. Note this is usually only to get it home. YMMV

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked with your state's DMV? How about the state the vehicle is coming from? Some states sell temp tags for newly purchased vehicles. Florida will issue a 30 temp tag but it's mainly so you can drive the vehicle to the DMV office so they can confirm the VIN. The bummer is you have to have the title in hand and not just the VIN. But I've gotten temp tags in the past from CO and VA without a title.

Another idea is if you need more time to get proper tags and don't want to pay to have it shipped see if a towing service can pick it up and store it for a few weeks for you. Then, when you get the tags go get it. Just be careful, if the vehicle has tandem axles check with any states you will be driving through to see if you need any permits.

Ruppster

Bighurt

Have you checked with your state's DMV? How about the state the vehicle is coming from? Some states sell temp tags for newly purchased vehicles. Florida will issue a 30 temp tag but it's mainly so you can drive the vehicle to the DMV office so they can confirm the VIN. The bummer is you have to have the title in hand and not just the VIN. But I've gotten temp tags in the past from CO and VA without a title.

Another idea is if you need more time to get proper tags and don't want to pay to have it shipped see if a towing service can pick it up and store it for a few weeks for you. Then, when you get the tags go get it. Just be careful, if the vehicle has tandem axles check with any states you will be driving through to see if you need any permits.

Ruppster
Thanks and the tandems opens up a whole other set of beans...

I did check with my state...nothing.

Can't get a hold of AL at the moment.

Flyingvan911

I drove my deuce from Ft Riley around the corner to the DMV in Junction City. I got my 30 day tag and 60 days later I got my Arizona title then my Missouri license plate.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks and the tandems opens up a whole other set of beans...

I did check with my state...nothing.

Can't get a hold of AL at the moment.
Hopefully you will be able to get a temp tag as this could save you having to get permits. When I drove a truck and trailer from Kentucky to the southeast corner of Virginia I did it with a temp tag from VA. Had a few weigh scales stop me and as soon as they saw the temp tag and the rest of the paperwork they knew it was not in commerce and was only being transported to its new home to be entered in to the IRP/IFTA system. Basically they gave it a grace period for not having IRP/IFTA. I did have proof of insurance. But to CYA if you get a temp tag I would talk to each state you will be driving through to make sure they give a grace period from IRP/IFTA for temp tagged vehicles just to make sure.

If you do get regular tags for the beast and drive it home if you tell me what states you will be driving through I will look through my books to see what the contact info is for each state. I still have the books from our last cross country drive a year ago. IIRC AL wasn't too bad for permits. I think they only charged something like $40.

Because of all the hassles with temp tags and IRP/IFTA when dealing with tandem axle trucks you might really want to look in to shipping and save yourself all the heartache.

Ruppster

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have picked up a lot of MV's...most of them I just drove home with proof of insurance.....no tag, no permits.

If it looks like an MV and you are not doing anything to call attention to yourself you prob won't be stopped.

I drove a deuce (with my Ford Ranger in the bed) towing another deuce with another deuce following me all the way back from Little Rock, AR. Only had one "Barney Fife" type ask me any questions and that was 20 miles from home.

I am not advocating that you represent yourself as a military entity but if a LEO sees you drive by and gives you a pass so be it.

There is nothing wrong with "hiding in plain sight".

Your milage may vary depending on what part of the country you live in.

bratpackdad

I say it depends on the condition of the truck. If it checks out somewhat safe (brakes, steering, fuel lines and filters) then you can drive it home. However, if you do your pre-trip and find issues I would arrange a tow.

13,000lbs of unregistered , unsafe MV sitting in a State Patrol impound lot being inspected by commercial enforecement officers for your manslaughter trial isn't going to work in your favor.2cents

91W350

I drove my M1009 home from Jefferson City with no tag and then for the next 65 days with no tag. I did have it insured before I ever saw it in person. I used the tag I obtained for that one to drive the next one home from Utah. I hauled my M1008 home, I should have driven it too. I plan to drive my deuce home with a tag off of an old M715, should be good, if not, it does have insurance. Some things I am willing to risk, insurance is not one of those. Glen

Bighurt

13,000lbs of unregistered , unsafe MV sitting in a State Patrol impound lot being inspected by commercial enforecement officers for your manslaughter trial isn't going to work in your favor.2cents
I agree and have enough common sense to not drive an unsafe vehicle home.

I guess I'll have to chance it and hope lucks on my side. Ruppster has me nervous with the commercial aspect of this particular MV. My goal is to haul grain on the side to pay for the vehicles costs. After that I hope to use it to recover other MV's, now I have a bunch more stuff to look into.

Appreciate all the posts...

Kalashnikov

For flat towing, isn't the vehicle suppose to be registered? Is a bill of sale good enough for the ride home in case of being stopped?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks