• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bridge Plate Yellow?

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
What color / brand of yellow paint are you guys using for bridge plate markings? Rick Larsen's page refers to the color as "chrome yellow" but I can't find it anywhere. Hardware store yellow paints are too mustard-like.

Regards,
Jon

lacoda56

Check with any paint supplier that custom mixes colors and ask for lusterless chrome yellow. We used to paint railroad maintenance equipment gloss chrome yellow. I think our supplier was a PPG dealer but it's been a while.

Armada

I bought a rattle can from the napa automotive store. Nothing special, it was called school bus yellow. The plate on my duece was originally yellow but was painted green at some point. The back side of the green numbers were still yellow though, so I painted the plate and mounting hardware and flipped the numbers around. The color matched perfect.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The school bus color is also called national chrome.

Lax

Hey guys,
My plate is green and the numbers (black) are mostly worn off. Why or when did the plates go to yellow or go to green?

Also, where do/did you get the correct numbers for the plates? Thanks

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Plates were yellow until the adoption of the 3-color NATO scheme. I have seen some four-color trucks with camo plates, but don't recall seeing an order specifying this.

Typically, Uncle Sugar just painted the whole plate, including the two exposed numbers. Most older trucks have yellow numbers but for the first ones.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

67Beast

Link is nice, but why pay double of what it cost to just grab a can of "school bus" yellow from Napa. It is the same color, it is just labeled that way because most people don't understand what the color chrome yellow really is. They think it is yellow tinted "chrome" paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks