• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How does krylon OD compare....?

CGarbee

Don't know about Krylon, but I do know that RustOleum is the same chemistry as Gillespie. I use RustOleum Rusty Metal Primer (the red version) under the Gillespie that I use to paint most everything in the yard. I did, however, paint a pair of M101 trailers with a "homebrew" OD using a formula that one of the guys on the old (defunct) BigElectric M37 forum posted that was to use a one to one ratio of RustOleum Hunter Green to Leather Brown. Those trailers are looking good serveral years after being sprayed and they get worked hard and live outside in the NC sun. The resulting color is a close enough match to most of my "factory" parts in OD that you can't tell the difference...

The same guy posted a variety of ratios for blending RustOleum and included some three color combinations including one that was very close to 383, but since I really like to use Gillespie 34052 (USMC Lusterless Forest Green), I didn't bother to save the info...

As for the original question, I would try to locate some color chips for Krylon in order to find a close color match, check Krylon's website to see if they do have a line of military colors, and would figure that it would be as durable as any consumer grade paint?

sermis

I used the Wal-Mart camouflage OD green over the 383 on my 725. There is a big difference. Looks dirty every where I sprayed over the 383. RAPCO e-mailed me and said that they carry the 383.

“ Yes we have current 383 green our part number is 34094. You can place you order at www.rapcoparts.com

ojsdna744

My whole M35 was krylon OD green when I purchased it. I left it that way for awhile, but the 383 green is much 'greener'

I'll see if I can find one of my pictures with it entirely in the krylon....give you an idea of what color it is. :D

ojsdna744

Here's one......kinda more tan/green......or an olive green......

that's still the color of the truck inside......too much work for me to paint the inside........i still work my truck....she's no beauty queen......

i did paint the outside three color camo however that I bought from Rapco..... :roll: maybe i do care....

Attachments

amanco

Garbee, have you ever posted a photo of any thing that you have painted with the RustOleum Hunter Green & Leather Brown mix? Just curious of the final looks of that color.

krylon

here's a shot of the replacement hood i installed on my m-1010...the krylon (spray bomb)
looks reasonably good.certainly better than the wierd blue it was before.
personally it looks a little to brownish...but i'm partially color blind,with green being the
worst for me.it looks good enough that i could easily like the whole rig in this color.

the spray bombs were for speed and convenience...i fully intend to repaint the whole
thing at a later date.really hard to get an even coat with flat paint spray cans.

Attachments

Elwenil

RE: krylon

Couple things to remember... The Krylon OD looks best over a coat of red oxide primer to me, but different base coats will make it look very different. My M715 tailgate looked decently close to 383 with red oxide but my SR-16 looks more like a faded version of the old 4 color OD over a black base. I haven't tried grey yet.

Also it's very hard to tell colors on the Internet. Various server settings, your ISP and you graphics and monitor settings can drastically change the look of a color, not to mention whatever the camera does to the image along with editing software. The only real way to tell shade and hue is in person with your own eyes although most of the time film cameras can get the right shade and hue also.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: krylon

I've had great luck with the Gillespie products and I always purchase from Mark Dodd at Rapco (SERMIS, are you Mark Dodd? If so, I never knew that). With that said, I love the Krylon ultra flat black...it is a dead on match for CARC black. I realize that this is not the color you were asking about, but I thought I'd spread the word because it really is a close match.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks