• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am ashamed of myself. ID this part?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what about a pressure plate spring
OR
a clutch spring from around the hub

asgtoolman

The top piece is called a clothes pin. That for your wife, when she does the laundry, and hangs the clothes outside on the line to dry.
Ridgerunner; I hope your wife doesn't read your sexist post [even tho it was a great one]--she may hang you out to dry OR put the clothes pin on a tender part of your body until you cry for help.

dougimes

Clutch spring makes sense, where does it go? Does not appear in the exploded view.

by the way Diesel bob, I love the Stangelove. a truly funny movie.

" We cannot allow a mine shaft Gap.....

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is a DAMPENER spring, it is part of a group of springs around the clutch hub

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you have INSTALLED the clutch, UNINSTALL the clutch, if you don't you are looking at clutch FAILURE

dougimes

Hey Ron,

Clutch not installed yet, I am still puzzling over this spring. Where does it go? There the driven plate is new (dampening springs intact, and none missing from the old one. The pressure plate has all its springs.

Where does this one go? I've got good tech manuals, can't see it in any of the exploded views. What assembly is it part of?

I appreciate the help,

Doug

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hey Ron,

Clutch not installed yet, I am still puzzling over this spring. Where does it go? There the driven plate is new (dampening springs intact, and none missing from the old one. The pressure plate has all its springs.

Where does this one go? I've got good tech manuals, can't see it in any of the exploded views. What assembly is it part of?
I appreciate the help,

Doug
DOUG,
I went with the clutch spring because you found it in your clutch parts box, it is about the right size and strength.

Could it go on the throw out linkage, on the end of the cross rod, fits on the end up against a stop on the rod, this would spring load the rod when installed in a hole on the spring end, keeping it a hole at the other end. I can see this set up being used to take up frame flex.

Last edited:

wbrianiii

The spring shown is too weak and too small to be a part of the clutch disk. I believe this spring and washer combo belong inside the cross-tube of the clutch linkage, so that the tube is spring loaded on the pivot balls. The cross-tube assembly mounts on ball studs that are attached to the frame and the trans.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a closer look... you may be right about it belonging into the bell-crank tube.
I can see now, it definitely isn't from the clutch disk; I stand corrected!

G.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a clutch not long ago. Trying to remember if the throwout lever operating cable had a spring that held it in the throwout lever????? Or was that a different rig......sorry, not much help!

wbrianiii

The spring and washer are shown in ORD 9 SNL G-740, page 50, items 'E' (washer) and 'G' (spring). They fit inside the cross tube, 'H' (described as 'lever') in the end that pivots on the ball stud, 'D', which is attached to the transfer case. Now you have what it is, and where it goes, including which end.

I have done a few of these. I learned to drive at age 10 in a 1947 CJ2a, bought a CJ6 when I was 18, an M170 when I was 25, a CJ3b when I was 30, and an M38 when I was 38. I am now 52, a retired mechanic (for medical reasons, my legs hurt too much to do it every day any more) have always done my own work, and still do. I've seen a few of these over the years, Willy's was nice in that once they had something that worked well, they kept building it the same way forever, thus we have huge parts interchangeability over a span of 40+ years on some parts.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks