• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft Drum Adventure

mangus580

Well, many of you know, I loaded up the 1009 with a pile of tools last night, to head up to Ft Drum to pick up a M109A3 for a fellow member. I think I took everything but the kitchen sink with me (it was bolted down :-().

Me and a friend of mine left my house at 6am this morning. About 7:30, we rolled into Doghead's place to grab him for the trip. Spent a few minutes kicking tires on his deuces, and headed on to Drum. We arrived at Drum at right about 9am.

Once we got on the lot, we pulled up to the truck, and started our walk around. It was obvious that we needed to come up with something for the mirrors, but everything else looked good. Fluids were all with in range, so I grabbed DRMO's slave cable, and plugged it in to the 1009. Did a quick check for hydro-lock, and pulled the mushroom off, to prepaare for 'run-away'. Got back in the cab, and with little cranking (maybe 20 seconds total) it fired right up :) Did some more looking at things, and decided to fix a battery terminal, so we shut it down for a few. We fixed said battery terminal, fired it back up, and spent the next few minutes airing up tires, mounting a license plate, and cobbing the mirrors. When all of that was done, we backed it up to the M105A2 that was to follow it home, and hooked up. We were pulling out of there by probably 10:30! Pretty good time I think :)

Pulling out of the base, I noticed that the clutch was acting a little funny :-(. The more we drove, the more it would slip under load. Found ourselves a truck stop to pull into, and slid under for a look. Turns out, the clutch was so far out of adjustment, I had to move it almost 1/2" on the rod!! The amount of pressure that had to be on the Throwout bearing all the time had to be incredible. What a difference in how the clutch acted!!

We got back on our way again, and started down the Interstate. It was obvious quite early, that this 109 runs just a tad better than my deuce! We made good time getting back to Doghead's, and arrived roughly at noon. As we were pulling up to his place, the alternator belt started squeeling pretty bad. So we parked for a few, and took the time to adjust that as well. Took a few more pictures, kicked some more tires, and got back on the road at about 12:40 (BTW, DH's wife claims that he only has one deuce... the other is HERS!)

The rest of the trip home is pretty non-descript. Pulled back into my house at about 2:20. My buddy, who drove the 1009 back, said there was a few hills where he had a hard time keeping up!! Go figure?

Spent some of the afternoon re-arranging to make room for my 'foster-deuce' and got the driveway all arranged nicely.

All in all, it was a fun day! and thanks to Doghead and Mathias for their help!!!

Video

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
:beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fun adventure. I was expecting fantastic stories about fixin broken parts or scavenging and recycling bolts from a nearby stream. Instead we have a truck that needs the mirrors reattached and jump started. Hell, you didn't even have to buy fuel. The nice thing about having a wife that isn't into MVs, is you don't have to share with her.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A short road trip and the thrill of of getting a deuce out of the DRMO is a great way to start the day! Thanks for including me in on the fun! It was nice to meet Mangus and his friend Mathias. 8) I am looking forward to meeting the rest of the 2781 members of SS in the future when the opportunity strikes !

PS. If letting my wife think that one of the trucks is hers is all it takes to have two without any flack, Then that's the way it will be! :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks