• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From Alfa Heaven in Aniwa, WI to Cocoa, FL

chill63

Well, I fly up on Saturday to pick up my new-to-me Deuce from Alfa Heaven. I've discussed this some in the Deuce forum, but thought it might be good to start a thread in the road trips section as this is more focused on my actual trip. I have modified the route slightly from what I originally posted in the Deuce forum as I won an M105A2 trailer from the GL auction in Fort Stewart, GA. I plan on swinging through there on my way home if all goes well.

I've attached a map of my latest planned route. The only deviation from the original is I now take I-16 east out of Macon towards Savannah, and then south on I-95.

I've got a few contacts along the route already, but if anyone else is along my route, and you don't mind, please feel free to PM me with your contact info.

If I get internet access along the way, I'll post updates here.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sounds like a fun trip. You might have trouble getting on base with having just bought the truck. All the bases I've been to recently in Ca. are very strict about having the truck reg, insurance and license all in your name and current or they wont let you on. Call the base ahead of time to see what is required. Good luck.

chill63

I talked with the GL guy prior to winning, and he indicated that I should be OK. I'll have a temp tag/registration from Wisconsin and I already have full insurance on the truck. Although, the GL guy said I should be OK, I'm still not 100% sure that I'll be able to get on base. If I do great. If not, I won't be too suprised, but I figured it would be worth a shot while I'm in the area. If I have to, I'll just come back in a day or so with my civvy vehicle.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck! Be careful,and have fun! :driver: ( chew gum while you drive or after the first 5 miles your face will hurt from the HUGE grin for for the rest of your trip!)

chill63

Hi all,

Stage 1 was completed successfully. rofl I finished up about 2:30am Sunday morning, and spent all of yesterday in Freeburg resting. 550 or so miles in 12 hours, plus the flight, and other stuff...that was a long day.

No issues to speak of. The truck is running and driving great - knock on wood. The truck is a blast to drive. So far it appears that I'm getting about 8mpg. I'm about to head out here around 7:00am or so today, and drive as far as I can. :driver: I'll give an update later today.

rdixiemiller

Did you have time to put on the de-splined hubs? Also, do you have the interaxle shaft pulled out? I would have thought you would have made a tad better fuel mileage than 8, but I don't know what RPM you have been running.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just want to remind you to watch the decent from Monteagle. Figure you're already on the road anyway but that decent just needs respect.

jkelly66

sounds like a fun trip and I back up what kenny says about Monteagle I come down it in a commercial truck about once a week it needs respect seen alot who didnt take the ramps if they are the lucky ones. Good luck be safe and I dont think you will have any trouble getting on Ft Stewart with that truck

rdixiemiller

Chris called me yesterday at about 1800 hrs at the top of Monteagle. He was giving the truck a once over before heading down the mountain. I haven't heard from him since, so I assume everything went well. he was going to head over towards Savannah to pick up his M105 from Ft. Stewart.

chill63

Hi all,

I'm home. Pulled in the driveway about 2100 hrs., unhooked the trailer, and parked the truck. I'll move everything around some tomorrow after work.

All went well. 1600 miles give or take. I'll pull out my log book tomorrow and give a more detailed trip description. No problem at all with Monteagle, I ended up putting her in fourth gear and coasting down. Stayed right at 30mph, maybe touched the brakes once.

More to come tomorrow. I'm off to get some rest now.

P.S. I may never get the opportunity to travel this far like this again, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it safe Chris. Once you get all squared away start looking at a trip in May. East Coast Rally and Convoy ending up in Churchville MD. It would be way cool to actually have somebody to convoy with for the first 800 miles. In 2005 I went up and didn't meet up with anyone until Doswell VA. This coming year might be the year to go, I think a very large element of the GA contingent will be along for the ride as well. The extreme southern serial might be the largest of them all.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Glad to hear you made it ok, that's a heck of a road trip.

And I'll be the first to say it:

nopics

chill63

Sorry it’s taken me so long to get some more of my trip report up here, but I’ve been swamped since I got home. I meant to call a few more of you folks along my trip, but was trying to conserve the cell phone battery for emergency use. As it was, it died shortly after I got home.

Overall the trip was great, lots of folks waving, honking, flashing lights and such.

I arrived at Central Wisconsin Airport just before 1100 hours on September 16. Tom was waiting to pick me up in an Air Force Suburban for the trip back to his place. I am definitely glad I went up there. Alfa Heaven is much more impressive than I had expected. Several very nice CUCV’s for sale, and several more waiting for refurb along with some M135’s and M35’s. I got the full tour – saw the classic cars, the vintage motorcycles, and all. He has a good selection of parts and tires too.

Day 1 - I left out of Tom’s place around 1415 hours that day, and headed for my first fill up. The fuel station was a good 15-20 miles from his place, and that is where is started filling out my log book. The truck was running good, and Tom had used it regularly which is a good thing in my opinion. When I got to I-39 I headed south keeping her right at 55mph. I ran straight down to my cousin’s house in Freeburg, IL that night arriving just after 0200 Sunday with two rest stops and two fill-ups along the way, 508.7+ miles. I was able to get a Bio-Diesel mix in IL. I believe it was 10% bio at the first station and 11% at the second.

Day 2 was a layover in Freeburg, IL to rest, visit, and gather additional supplies.

Day 3 – I left my cousin’s place about 0715 hours stopping by my Grandma’s house for another short visit before I left town. She thought the Deuce was “neat”. From there I was driving in the rain most of the day. It was clear for the trip up and down Monteagle which was a good thing. I stopped at the top to give the truck a once over, and then proceeded down hill. I took off pretty easy on the way down, and ended up shifting into 4th gear letting the truck coast down. It pretty much stayed right at 30mph all the way down. I went around Atlanta on I285 east in the 2100-2200 hour range in the rain. The traffic was moving, but miserable with the rain. From there I headed down to Dublin, GA where I stayed in the truck at the Love’s Truck Stop on I-16 stopping about 0100 hours Tuesday. My longest day at 676.1 miles.

Day 4 – Breakfast at McDonald’s and on the road about 0800 hours. 114.1 miles to Ft. Stewart DRMO. No problems at all getting on base. Picked up the trailer, and I noticed the lighting connector was dinged up. I did take a gamble on the trailer, but I figured as cheap as these are it wasn’t worth the expense to go inspect it. I took out my tools and tried to straighten it up in the parking lot, but didn’t have much luck. The GL guys gave me directions to a Carquest auto parts just off base. I carefully pulled it there without lights. The guys and girl at the Carquest were great, they just let me take out whatever I needed, and I settled up in the when I was done. I took another gamble as all they had was 12V lights, so I grabbed some LED lights which I could use on my enclosed trailer at home if they survived. As I was rigging up the lights, I noticed some of the LED’s were already going out. Not good, but I decided to go for it as I would be running out of daylight if I messed around too much. Shortly after heading out, it started to rain and then pour. I was heading south on I-95 hoping I had some lights. Well I pulled into a truck stop in south Georgia to fill up and fix the lights as needed. When I got out of the truck to check the lights, they were all working again. At that point I realized the LED’s were probably cutting out because of the increased heat from the 24V and when moving down the road with the rain it was keeping them cool so they were fully functioning. Yeah!!! The delays with the lighting put me just enough behind schedule to hit Jacksonville during rush hour still in the rain. I made one more stop along the way to check out the lights before it turned dark, and all were still going strong and continued to do so all the way home. I pulled in the driveway around 2030 hours that night, ~407 miles.

3 days of driving, 1 day layover in IL, 1592.6 (+~15 )miles, 197.1 gallons of diesel, 8.1 mpg, $518.46 trip fuel cost plus $90.00/31.6 gallons for the initial fill up.

You know after driving a Deuce 1600 miles an Expedition really drives funny.

Mapquest showed 1619.2 total trip miles from Alfa Heaven to my house. The Deuce odometer showed 1592.6 from the first fuel stop to the point of fuel up after I arrived home. I’d say the Deuce odometer is pretty close, but a little on the low side. I did have a few side trips that probably added a few miles, but if you add the 15 or so miles before I started logging the mileage it’s not too far off from the mapquest total.

chill63

Here's some pics...

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

If you're up for another road trip, we're having a cookout in North Ga. this weekend and after your trip, that'll be like a stroll across town! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks