• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my wifes new ride, M38A1

krall

shes a 1954 M38A1 has radios and gun mount, canvas all around, in very nice shape, can't believe I got to bring her home, ok so about the only question I got would be I drove her around after I got her home and well I sprung a leak under the hood, I stoped at the inlaws and saw she was dripping, poped the hood and oil was everywhere, no joke, it sprayed all over the place, I put a good bit more in and limped here home, the gage never spiked and I kept her under 45 on the way back, when I had first started I pushed about 50 was that my problem?, now when I stayed slow, I noticed no new oil leaking and well I don't want to go 50 again if that is just too much for it. what do you all think?

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive mine 55 all the time and no oil comes out under the hood. You have a leak somewhere. Really nice Jeep!

krall

thank you and thank you. that is what the guy I got it from said, 55 but don't push it so just wanted to see, I don't see anything when just sitting there so i am thinking its a hose with a pin hole and goes at it when oil pressure is up there.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes, very nice. I miss our M38A1 very much.

I agree with the above, 55 shouldn't cause oil to leak.

Degrease and pressure wash it so it's clean, then drive it a little, stop, inspect, repeat as necessary.

zout

:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin: sweet ----- more women with jeeps - just told my wife and she is trying to get me down to the garage to finish hers - thanks a lot for post this today rofl

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin: sweet ----- more wormen with jeeps - just told my wife and she is trying to get me down to the garage to finish hers - thanks a lot for post this today rofl
Very nice jeep krall...and as said...it should NOT blow oil at 55 (or any speed unless sumpin breaks)[thumbzup]

Zout...make SURE you go straight to the wifey's jeep...DO NOT stop and play with the other "project":lol:

rickf

Another little trick is after you get it good and clean dust it down with baby powder and it will show any leaks pretty quickly.

Rick

SturmTyger380

My guess is the oil filter top is not tight or one of the rubber oil lines broke. If it is the one going to the fiber timing gear you need to fix that before you run it much more.

Alan

JB

Ditto for some of the responses above. Mine leaked in two places, the oil filter cover needs to be really tight and I had a leak at the oil press sensor. It did not matter the speed though.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Check the bolt on top of the oil filter.

It will leak if it is not tight.

It will also leak if the top is worn.

How far dit you go and how much oil did you use?

As far ad riving goes.

Without overdrive I would keet it to 55 mph max

With overdrive you will notice a slight tire induced shimmy above 60 mph

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks