• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Post-YS carb identification

OldManRiver

New to this forum, but not to old jeeps. I’m in the process of refreshing my 1984 frame up restoration of a 1951 M38 bought from Louis Larson (Willys Mpls). Going over my work of 26 years ago is interesting.

What is the difference between an M38 YS637 carburetor and an YS950 for the M38A1, and how can you tell by appearance? There are no tags or indentifying markings (other than YS) on the one I have.

Oilleaker1

The flange nuts or holes are turned 90 degrees from each other. The two nuts looking at the top curved air horn face front to back of the jeep on the 637, left to right on the A1 or 950. This is with the air horn pointed at the air filter. Early M38's with the 637 have a square knob facing forward cast into the base of the carb. Those carbs are the rarest. They are not cheap to buy or rebuild. Get the newest kit so the rubber diaphrams are compatable with the newer fuels.

OldManRiver

Thanks-I do have a 637. The additional early casting is shown in the TM and that threw me off since mine does not have that.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do we get to see your Jeep? :D

OldManRiver

Yes, I'll read up on how to post pictures & do so. Right now I'm in the field for work, but will do when I get back next week.

Turns out I have the original early YS637 carb (with additional cast boss) in great shape plus the more recent one. I've been using a CJ3A carb for general use just to save the YS.

The M38 is relatively early (S/N 154XX) built 3-51 with most of the eartly features intact. When restoring it I took off the early bell housing & starter (saved of course) & put in the later sealed housing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks