• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on SF97's

liljohn

I'm just wondering about the timeline for getting it all handled.

From the FAQ on the website, it says you must submit an inspection report to get an SF97. Am I correct in assuming that you can get the inspection done once you have purchased and picked up the item? In other words, you don't have to get it inspected before you pick it up, do you? And then after that you submit your request for an SF97?

Thanks in advance.

gasser

RE: Question on SF97

Hi Brian,

That is correct - your state's approved officer would inspect it after it's in your possession.
I just recently picked up another CUCV M1009 from FL, and had to get the SF97 corrected. GL wanted to see my state's VIN verification filled out so they could get the DRMO to do it correctly.

Hope this helps, take care.

-graham

Marine7599

Ok, to follow on that last post...I am in the military and considering purchasing a vehicle from a GL auction. I am currently stationed in FL; my home state is SC where I would eventually title and register the vehicle. Is it possible to have the vehicle inspected by a law enforcement officer here in FL, send off the paperwork for the SF97, and then successfully title and register the vehicle in SC? Thanks,

Alan

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Alan, GL is a FL dealer. If you use your FL address, GL will have to provide you with a FL title, not just an SF97. At that point you need only re title it in SC.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I found out after many times of visisting the GL chat room help that the inspection requirement comes from GL folks not getting the VIN and other data right. That was not presented clearly and I went and got mine state inspected and those have a time limit on being valid to take to the MVA. My SF 97's were so delayed I came down to the wire on not having to get another state inspection. I told them they should just bond one of there guys at each location and havet the data correct. They told me their employees are too busy. Imagine if you had to do that for every vehicle you bought from other sources like dealerships. One more nail in our cross to get a truck or trailer registered.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

So, the way I read the GL site, an inspection form from a DMV employee or law enforcement officer is faxed in along with the SF97 request form. Is the inspection form that verifies the VIN, etc... a GL form or is it a state form? I looked on GL and couldn't find an inspection form.

Marine7599

Kenneth,
I assume that you have had success with this route. I am just worried that they have some BS loophole that gets them out of having to supply a title even though they are a FL dealer. Thanks for your help

Alan

ida34

Chris,
Most states have a vin inspection form. They will only do it on the form used by the licensing authority for the state. In Michigan it is a Secretary of State form TR-54. Your local PD should be able to tell you what form or you could check with the people you go get your plates from. It is not a GL form. Even if it was I would think that they would be reluctant to sign a form they knew nothing about. Hope this helps.

Chuck

ida34

Alan,
Most states required a title to be supplied with a vehicle being sold. In most states they are conducting business contrary to the law but it would take someone taking the time and expense to actually sue them or convince the state attorny general to prosecute them. By them having a dealer license in FL this makes them comply or they will get the license pulled. All one would need to do is file a complaint with the state licensing board for dealers. They do not want to loose the dealer license so they provide the title. In MI it is a misdemeanor to not provide a title with a vehicle when it is sold. Even the scrap cars need a salvage title until they are crushed or melted down. GL tried to make all the vehicle sales like scrap metal sales but unless the vehicle was crushed into a cube or such they would still have to provide a title in MI. I think they are allowed to charge a title fee but it is still bogus and just another way for them to stick it to us. I will not give them the money and I will just get a bonded title. It requires the same vin inspection and I will not have to wait for GL to send me paperwork and I will keep my $60.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks