• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

free rides

rizzo

I gave some people a ride last Saturday at the mud bog at Vince's. I use the M810 for recovery mostly, but next bog I am going to give some more rides, I think the kids really enjoyed it. we drove through a few deep puddles to make it more exciting.

PS I don't do any recovery with a load of kids in the back. SAFETY FIRST!

rizzo

oshkosh 10x10 cement converted to wrecker. they couldn't figure out how to get the two rear axles to work and it got stuck on the wet grass. The white truck pulled it out.

EastCoastKaiser

For real? Wow, talk about embarrasing. Happens to the best of us.
Reminds me of when I-95 was a parking lot due to a heavy snow strom. There was a slight incline that everyone was crawling up. I decided to pass the turtles by using the median. I got 3/4 of the way and hit a hard frozen pile created by a snow plow that was hidden by the fresh snow and got high centerd. All I could do was sit and watch all the cars slowly pass me by. I tried to make it look like Iwanted to be there....

rizzo

Re: RE: free rides

EastCoastKaiser said:
For real? Wow, talk about embarrasing. Happens to the best of us.
Reminds me of when I-95 was a parking lot due to a heavy snow strom. There was a slight incline that everyone was crawling up. I decided to pass the turtles by using the median. I got 3/4 of the way and hit a hard frozen pile created by a snow plow that was hidden by the fresh snow and got high centerd. All I could do was sit and watch all the cars slowly pass me by. I tried to make it look like Iwanted to be there....
lol, the truck weighs 60k so I guess having all the axles turning would make a difference. alot of tow vehicles had to get pulled out of the parking field, even 4x4 ones. street tires and wet grass with a trailer hooked up = stuck

EastCoastKaiser

RE: Re: RE: free rides

You guys have way too much fun over there! Guys around here are mostly into making tube frame rock crawlers and seeing how far they can go up a ramp. Just can't find any good old fashion mud bogs around here any more.

EastCoastKaiser

wyliek
Where there's a will there's a way. Unfortunately there's no way it'll happen on my 1/16 acre lot. Maybe somebody local is listening in and will offer up their back forty.....

rizzo

Re: RE: free rides

rizzo said:
oshkosh 10x10 cement converted to wrecker. they couldn't figure out how to get the two rear axles to work and it got stuck on the wet grass. The white truck pulled it out.
they set this pic up. Kinda hard to believe, but the guy stuck to his story for a week, then spilled the beans. Stranger things have happened than a 6k truck pulling a 60k truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hey Kevin, you hang around the mud alot, are there still people out there using chains and cables to retrieve stuck vehicles?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Kenny, you were going to demonstrate the advantages of a tow strap last time I visited you,
but we never got to it...maybe next time. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Actually Bjorn, I was just thinking about the same thing. I plan on taking my wife's video camera the next time I recover a semi so I can show a little about how it works. I might even tie off to a tree stump and video some snatches just so people can see how forgiving the straps can be.

rizzo

we don't allow it at our bogs. everyone uses recovery/snatch straps. I use a 60' military 3 loop and 32' 2 loop. they stretch well. if the truck doesn't come right out i will let off the clutch and let the strap pull me back then forward again usually after 4-6 times of this the truck is out. a lot of people will get a head start and do the big jerk, I like to save that for a last effort. Slow and easy seems a lot safer.
We don't allow anyone to use a winch at our bogs either. Improper winch use can be very unsafe. its also a lot faster using a strap. If anyone is interested I will get some pics of my straps and some recovery at the bog today. I'm gonna be using the cargo deuce and cargo 5 ton.

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: free rides

Recovry4x4 said:
Actually Bjorn, I was just thinking about the same thing. I plan on taking my wife's video camera the next time I recover a semi so I can show a little about how it works. I might even tie off to a tree stump and video some snatches just so people can see how forgiving the straps can be.
I would love to see that!

Adamlee

rizzo's "got mud? 4x4" avatar

Ahem.....that's a rather rude avatar you use on that "got mud" message board, there buddy! :lol:

SS members show a little more "conservative restraint"...... rofl

Adam Lee

rizzo

Re: rizzo's "got mud? 4x4" avatar

Adamlee said:
Ahem.....that's a rather rude avatar you use on that "got mud" message board, there buddy! :lol:

SS members show a little more "conservative restraint"...... rofl

Adam Lee

that site is more local. I see most people on the site in person once a month or more so it has more of a "locker room" feel about it because everyone knows each other pretty well. We do welcome anyone to join us. Regardless of where they live.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks