• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mount a crane on a Dukw

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys I was looking for a Miltary unit like this one in the picture. I am an old F$%T and pretty buggerd up and just cannot lift stuff into the DUKW. I want to mount something like this so I can get things in it without killing myself. Anyone have any suggestions so it will at least look not too bad. I would love to keep it completely stock and orginal but really need something to help load and unload the odd time. Please feel free to flame if you want but I need the help to get stuff in that beast. Eddy

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We had a big discussion about hoists awhile back, but we only covered the functionality, not the appearance.

See this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/11516-crane-ideas.html

The only military hoists I can think of that are like that are the 5 ton spare tire hoists in some cargo models.

That being said, I'd strip it down and prime a civvy model so paint will stick and paint it to match your DUKW. Remember to brace wherever you mount it, they will easily bend a deuce bed floor.

C

Last edited:

paulfarber

HF and Northern tools sell a 1 ton bed crane that you bolt to the floor.

Only issue I can see with a DUCK is the thicker gunwales (or whatever they are called).

Plus bolting to the metal floor might cause some watertight issues.

RDUKW

How about building yourself a replica a frame? At least it will look original and correct. What are you trying to load into the DUKW?

Ryan

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking of mounting it on the wood deck plates with a metal frame to hold it or maybe on the rear deck where the spare tire is. I need to be able to lift stuff from the ground and into the cargo hold. It is about a 7 foot lift from the ground and a 4 food drop into the deck. I would only need it to lift about 500lbs as I am not going to mess with real heavy stuff. I am looking for ideas to keep it Miltary looking. I think if I blast and paint it to match the Dukw it will look OK but wounder if anyone has any ideas. Thanks Eddy

RDUKW

I just went out in the garage to look at mine and I would build a davit that went into the right rear ring mount. That would be removable and would not involve hacking up the original vehicle.

Ryan

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ment to put it in the CCKW section as we do not have one for DUKWs but my bad eyes missed. I need the crane as I cannot lift the spare onto the DUKW and I cannot lift anything very heavy onto or into the DUKW. Even a full gas can is trouble for me as you have to lift it above your head just to put it on the deck. I have some issues with busted up body parts and generaly being an old F&*t ( Gas Bag ) I am just looking for some suggestions to make it work but not look too bad. So far I think I will put in on the back deck behind the rear hatch where the gas cans now mount. I will make some braces under the deck plate. I will paint it to match and maybe even make it so I can lay it down when not useing it. I am still looking for comments and hints. Thanks guys. Eddy

Attachments

jamesfrom180

I would think a mast and gin pole would have been the correct rigging for this. Mounting the mast to the aft corner of the cargo area could be accomplished with a bracket and if hinged you could use a electric winch to step-in the mast. I think the German pazer support vehicles had something similar to facilitate field repairs. I think I've seen some converted sherman hulls set up that way. :beer:

michigandon

I saw a DUKW set up the way you want about 25+ years ago in Northern Michigan. It was being used in a marine salvage operation. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any pics of it and i know that doesn't help you much. :(

jamesfrom180

Ok I ripped these off of the "tubes" and they are of models but this illustrates my point. For material I would think some out of speck drill pipe would work. Also possibly tow bars. either way I think it would be period correct and serve your purpose. If you do do this remember nopics

edit: added the last pic to verify I was along the right lines. That is an A frame with two DUKWs but field expedited rigging had to have occurred. I'm sure there is a pic of a gin pole rigged especially if someone ran across a Bergpanzer in the field. Only makes sense to have one to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

landfillman

I got a small manual AutoCrane boom on my old service truck. It is manual extend and swing with an electric winch. Its what the rail road used in the back of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Its got a meaty square tube stand and will stow the jib beside the stand. Ill get some pics later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks