• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ignition switch box

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently ordered purchased a new ignition switch box that mounts on the steering column of the Mule.

I have an extended shift lever so I modified it (bent it) so it does not touch the box when I bolted it to the column. I mounted it about half way up the column.

My question is, what are you guys using for switches? The box came with 2 holes in it. I am considering using a lawntractor style switch(with magneto grounding). They all seem to have an off, on, lights on, start positions. I would like to add lights eventually(no alternator yet) since I do drive in off the ice at night all winter long. I've been thinking of using led lights.

I have also considered installing a horn eventually.

I could just relocate the original 2 switches into the box, I think?

What do you have for switches in your box?

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have one of those switch boxes but I installed a toggle switch with an ON, ON switch so it grounds the magnito. I got the switch from radio shack.

I've thought about going to this switch box but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

hughscpa

I had a mule many years back that had that same box mounted on the column. It had the on/off switch and the start switch in it. I know this is probably worthless info but it is what I had. I did not know they mounted the switches anywhere else.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My switches currently are on the front panel, under my legs, facing forward(opposite side same place as the choke). Below is a picture of the on/off switch from the TM dated 1969. No electric start then...

I have a hard time reaching them from the seat(especially in my winter clothes).

I don't know when or if the box is a "standard" item added when electric start became available. Did any of them have electric start in the military? When did this become an option?

The latest dated TM I have is 1984, for the mule engine. It shows a recoil start only.

Attachments

Last edited:

hughscpa

I got my mule through federal surplus and it had not been molested by anyone. It had the electric start with two toggle type switches. One was an actual on/off swith, the other was spring load and you pushed it to the side to start the engine. Man I wish I still had that!!! I paid a whopping $150.00 for it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked it over some more and I measured the holes the box came with. They are both 1/2". I can easily drill them larger(once).

I dug up an accessory switch and start button from an M35A2. The accessory switch will fit in the bottom hole(not the top because the U bolt that mounts the box interferes). The start button will work in the top position if I drill the hole larger. I can fit both switch labels as well. I may use these, but I still am interested to see what others have for switches.

I found an economical keyed switch for a boat that I kinda like also. It has a push in position for a power choke(could use as a horn button) as well as off, on, start.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks