• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Eliminate M813 muffler?

cbvet

Has anyone tried running a Cummins with no muffler, just pipe?
The outlet broke off of mine yesterday.
I reads TedGs fix and may have to try it, but I wonder how the truck would sound without it.

TedG

Hi Eric,

Before I fixed mine, I bought a spare used muffler. If you can't fix yours and you do not want to eliminate it then let me know. I remember getting to the bolts from the manifold are a PITA.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When the WW gets back on the road, it will be a straight pipe, tho outlet was ripped out of the muffler, I had to cut the bolts from the exhaust

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's LOUD. I have ridden many a mile in the 818 of death that ferro owns. I could even hear his 818 over the roar that my 814 was making going down the interstate. Even with earplugs, I was wearing ear muffs, just to try and get the cummins down to a less painful level.

Capt.Marion

Since it isn't turbocharged, there is nothing at all muffling the exhaust. It will be dangerously loud, and--from what I've read in a thread similar to this--highly recommended against.

With the multifuels or even the Macks (and Cummins in little trucks like Dodge pickups, etc) the turbocharger muffles the engine noise enough that it is tolerable (and legal) without a separate muffler.

spicergear

It'll sound great with ear plugs but you will NOT be able to drive it to top rpm's with no ear plugs. My crane truck is a naturally aspirated V8 and it is HELLA LOUD.

dieselsmokem35a2

I recently picked up an M923A2 which of course has a muffler as wella s a turbo. I also have a Deuce with no muffler and a whisler turbo. I love the Sound and whistle of the Deuce but it gets old sometimes if you want to talk to your passenger or drive longer distances. So the muffler on the 923 was a welcome thing but I too am curious how the 8.3 would sound without a muffler. But knowing that I also love being able to communicate with my wing man I decided to look for a 4" diverter valve. Found one on line and ordered it. Basically it's a 90deg elbow with a strait section welded to it. Inside are two butterfly valves. Pull the lever one way it goes through the elbow. Flip the lever the other way it goes strait through and closes the other valve. I just got it in the mail yesterday and have not put it on yet. But the idea is to have a lever in the cab so I can strait stack it or route through the stock muffler. So I will have two stack but from a glance all you will see is the original muffler setup since I plan on mounting the strait stack behind it. If I ever get time to put it all together I will be sure to post a video or some pics. Just too many projects and not enough day light!

cbvet

Well, I finally got a chance to work on my muffler.
It's obviously been repaired before judging by the built-up sloppy welds. And when the flange broke off it took a lot of the muffler shell with it, leaving a large ragged hole. It is just to rotted out to repair.
Time to go muffler shopping.

Motomech

There is a Deuce near where I live that has no muffler and the pipe runs all the way out the back...Sounds pretty cool from behind and quiet when in front of it.

nevrenufhp

When I was in the ol Army, I actually pulled off the muffler of an M923A1, and put the turnout back on the flange. Of course, I had to take it for a spin too. Wow, that was a mean sounding growl! Go with a bigger pipe if you do str8 pipe it, because it deepens the note.
Gotta tell you from experience with a str8 piped truck, it gets annoying after a while. Not that big of a deal if you only drive it a few miles at a time.

cbvet

I confess. I was wrong.
My muffler wasn't too rotted out to repair. It was just too bad to be repaired by ME!
Took it to a muffler shop in South Bend. Showed him what TedG had done with his.
Twenty bucks for pipe & gasket material, twenty five for labor, a few hours work and it's on the road.
Thanks to TedG & all the others who offered suggestions!

m816

After turnin 66 and having driven trucks and being in construction I now have two beautifly hearing aids courtesy of Uncle. I used to love the roar of diesels, still do actually. but I would like to hear what the grandkids are saying. The first tone you loose is the range women and small kids speak at. That isn't all bad. When you can't hear your buddy warning you that the dog is peeing on your leg, you realize you may have let your hearing get too bad to be repaired. Trucks sound great with mufflers in the long rung. Just my two cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks