• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit Diesel Differences?

paradeduty

Do we have any Detroit Diesel Gurus on here?

Just wondering what the differences might be between an 8V92TA intended for a vehicle drivetrain and an 8V92TTA intended for a dedicated piece of equipment (generator, pump, etc.).

I know that there is probably (almost for sure) differences in the governors as the "equipment" version is intended to operate almost exclusively at a single "optimum" rpm.

But someone mentioned that there may be differences in the valves or something.

There might also be differences as the "equipment" model would really have no need for such options as "Jake Brakes" and the like - although they could probably be added as the base engine is the same.

I know that there is an obvious difference in the Horsepower (and Torque) ratings of the two (about 450 to about 750) due in part to the additional turbocharger on the 8V92TTA.

Just doing some dreaming and thought I would pick everyone's brains!

Dave.

fasttruck

Equipment andc some bus engoines are left handed rotation, most automotive engines are right handed engines. Accessories and the method lof their mounting will be all o vefr the lot. Oil pans are different etc.

Jersey4x4

The Detroit diesels can be literally built to any spec you want. If you have the engine numbers call a dealer and they will tell you exactly what it's purpose was and who wanted it that way right down to the paint color. The Detroit's were a very versitile engine and could be installed in almost anything and even bolted together to make an 8 into a 16 cyl and so on. With them it was mostly accessories that were different from Industrial engines to Motor Vehicle Engines. Gov, belts, Turbos, Blowers, and how the throttle worked, even rotation changes could be made.

spicergear

The TTA engines just appear MASSIVE as the giant turbos on each side soak up so much room...it's awesome. I do know they need a real top notch cooling system. Cook'em and kill'em. Sorry I can't be more help...been around them, done some work on them, own a silver 92, but don't have the answers you need.

paradeduty

Thanks Guys.

Just playing around with ideas for the future if the engine in my old girl is toast.

Seems like they put different versions of the 2-stroke in everything until the EPA started looking for things to keep themselves busy.

Back then we didn't have to pay to have the roads sealcoated - the OTR trucks did it for us. Now, instead of it being called "contamination" we pay for guys to put it down with "special equipment". Ahh - progress!

Dave.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I drove a lot of trucks with "Yamahas" in them....never met one I liked.....they do have a cool sound when they are wound up.

I have to say the HEMMT's did a fair job when loaded but you had to keep the throttle against the firewall to get anything out of them. (they had the big V-8 two stroke in them)

Me and a co-conspiritor have an idea for a hot rod deuce with a Driptroit deep breather in it.

rorybellows

hemmts, hets and pls types arent able to get the power to the ground in a manner befitting of their grandesque stature and status. they need more gears or manual transmission. but that wont happen, as they cant figure out how to properly train a bunch of dumbass, knuckleheads how to use a clutch or anything else concerning actual heavy vehicle operation

paradeduty

Sadly, rorybellows, you are probably more right than not. I have cought a few online videos of the HEMTT's being abused. Don't get me wrong - I have lit up more than a few of my tires in my many years pushing the pedals. But these were MY tires - smoking the rear 4 tires or seeing just how high you can get the engine to scream (out of gear without governor?) on a heavy EXPENSIVE rig that is not yours does not make me really happy about sending in my many tax dollars. But this is the lot of bodies that the motor pool is delt. Just design them with auto's so everyone (guys and gals) don't have to have a good left thigh muscle. Heck - the newest ones don't even have a shift lever - just push the button, no thought or brains involved - no need to slow down, the trans computer will just do the thinking for you so it won't grenade (hopefully). And then just plan on rebuilding them every 20K miles due to the creative ones making movies. Ah yes - my daily rant - now I feel better!

rorybellows

o, youd cry, if'n like me, you were a truck driver already, and came to find out everything in the active army MP was auto. not to mention the bozos driving. i was just glad i got to drive a 920 a few times while in. thats about as close as youre gonna get. fun rig to drive.

Alredneck

Banned
I have at disposal

2ea 6V92TA ( silvers )
1ea 8V71
1ea 12V71

Maybe I should just bolt them all together and see what happens!

spicergear

I like your idea of the Detroit into the 5 ton. I've been sitting on a 475hp Silver 92 (8V92) with a 13 speed RTO 12513 Road Ranger for 2 years now with the hopes of dropping that into an 800 Series truck. If 240hp is liked...this should do very well- ...and sound oh so Detroit cool!

M813A1

Ok the Detroit engine 8v92ta = is a 2 stroke supercharged engine with 8 cylinders at 92 cubic inches, turbo charged, and aftercooled !!!! The Detroit 8v92tta = the same as above but is twin turbo charged, and aftercooled !! Some of the other Detroit Engines are Series 60 it is a 4 stroke version of the 6-71. The Detroit 6-71 is a 2 stroke engine that is Supercharged with 6 cylinder that is 71 cubic inches per cylinder . The 71 series of engine go from 3-71 up to 24-71 and larger !! The 92 Series go from a 4V92 up to 24V92 and larger .. The Detroit Series of engine are very unique and as said earlier the engine blocks can be bolted together, or side by side in pairs or can be laid on their side for low profile coal mining rail cars and many other applications like boats , truck, indrustrial, generators , rail roading and more !!

Last edited:

paradeduty

Not my field of expertise, but it sure seems that at one time they were putting Detroits in everything - must have been pretty adaptable and fairly reliable for the day to have such a following.

paradeduty

I think that dropping a Detroit into one of the 5-tons is going to have the same "radiator problems" as the M35A3's with the same "narrow nose" - course you could always jack the cab and put the radiator horizontal like the LVS and HMMVEE (sp?) and Louver the Hood! Take a lot of jacking for the radiator to clear the turbo on a 8v92t/ta. I think I saw pics of the 8v71t/ta with the turbo off of the back instead of on top. HMMMMMM.

paradeduty

Or you could always start with a 900 series 5-ton with the wide nose tilt hood. HMMMMM. push tge cab back and insert a "band" between the hood and firewall. HMMMMM. Heck - if you are going to push the cab back, might as well add a second front axle (8x8 anyone!). HMMMMMM.

paradeduty

HMMMM - lets take this a little further - Assuming the conversion to 1600/20's, minimum distance between axle centers would have to be about 5 feet (this is probably farther than the rears center to center, but the fronts have to clear each other in a turn - could always commit to max of 1400/20's or 395's or something to keep the same centers maybe) - so now we have to move back the cab about 5 feet - I can't imagine that an 8V92 is longer than the Cummins straight 6, so lets call it the same with a larger (thicker) radiator - adding another 5 feet should get enough room for a couple more cylinders per side as well as rear mounted turbos (12V92 anyone!) - the bell housing of a larger (monster) trans could take up the space beneath the turbos possibly without having to cobble the doghouse of the cab - HMMMMM. I guess I'm dangerous when I'm dreaming!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks