• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle disconect

Jersey4x4

Since I have been running the M816 almost daily and need the 6x6 capability I have the interim drive shaft installed between the 2 read axles but as most of you know this makes it difficult sometimes to turn a corner as there is no differential in the drive line between the rears. I was thinking of building an air actuated lockout/interlock to allow separation on the fly. it could also be manual engagement from a lever or cable. what do you think?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, that's pretty slick but the problem I have with it is there is no protection for the workings of that thing. I couldn't imagine it would last very long in the mud and grime.

It does give some good ideas to build on though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that one is certainly for the RV market but it gives a glimpse into what could be a root start to something pretty cool.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Biggest issue I see is that it will only allow the rear axle to be disconnected, and that is the one that should remain or poor traction and axle hop becomes a problem due to the rear suspension configuration.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Jersey4x4

I was thinking more along the lines of the WARN 424 kit that they made for ATVs but on a larger scale with an air actuator. Most of the civy trucks have this type of thing and it disconnects the rear drive axle and allows it to follow the first screw in cornering. Obviously you will not be engaging it when you are already stuck and the front axle is spinning.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jersey, Well not exactly, the power divider on a commercial twin screw truck when released (open) allows differential action between the rear axles. When locked it powers both rear axles.

Jersey4x4

Your right, I was thinking theory but not actual. in theory, that is how I want to do it but to divide power to go through the front to the rear I dont think would be possible in these trucks. I was more looking to release the rear axle drive shaft using a disconnect that would allow better turning and then be re engaged and still be driving. The remco unit is a basic unit but being exposed to the elements is no good. Something similar and stronger and air actuated.

Jersey, Well not exactly, the power divider on a commercial twin screw truck when released (open) allows differential action between the rear axles. When locked it powers both rear axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks