• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arizona vs FMV

Welder Sam

Well this is aimed at gatering factual law based info for New River, Maricopa Co, Arizona only. Im hoping to possibly move sometime in the next few years. I look for my colloection to include a crewcab deuce, a regular cab m35a2, a 5 ton wrecker(undetermined atm), an "M309" (as defined by another user), and maybe a couple other smaller/lighter wagons.

Any factual, first hand knowledge for this area is appreciated.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What exactly are you wanting to know? I can probably tell you a lot about what laws you'll run into. I have a M1028, M35A2C, M818, M916, and trailers in Maricopa County with no problems and know many others who do as well.

Welder Sam

Smog, tax, tags, restrictive laws. My wife and i grew up in Glendale but never thought we'd go green. I was just reading another thread where another guy in Glendale got socked by the city gestapo and had to sell. I want no suprises but just starting my research for Az. Ive uncovered many confusing laws here and figure i will there too. Thanks brother

Welder Sam

My kinda place Boomer. Went to a bar off i17 near cactus during springbreak and couldn pick a fight. I was disappointed. Here, i woulda got one after about 3 words. Normally, im not that ay but my "buddy" was feedin me Petrone on top of 10-15 pitchers. I.. uh.. wasnt myself. Havent had a drink since!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yearly emissions test on anything made after 1966. If you have collector car insurance (which I think the law/state defines as insurance that has limited mileage stipulations) you do not have to pass an emissions test. Some towns have laws about not parking in residences with vehicles over a certain weight - You'll have to research that on your own.

This thread - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/70221-registering-deuce-arizona.html - has some good information in it.

Welder Sam

Wow! I missed that! Good thread and good info. Once i take up residence there, how long before i have to legally register it in state? Oh how nice itd be to have a truck at the in-laws so id have a truck during visits that didn cost an arm and a leg. Got no storage tho. Cant win for loosing on that one. Guess ill just drive their go-carts with a/c.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! I missed that! Good thread and good info. Once i take up residence there, how long before i have to legally register it in state? Oh how nice itd be to have a truck at the in-laws so id have a truck during visits that didn cost an arm and a leg. Got no storage tho. Cant win for loosing on that one. Guess ill just drive their go-carts with a/c.
According to this - Motor Vehicle Division -

State law requires that you obtain an Arizona vehicle registration and driver license, immediately if any of the following applies. If you:

• Work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work) –or–
  • Are registered to vote in Arizona –or–
  • Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident –or–
  • Have a business that has an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state –or–
  • Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident –or–
  • Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona –or–
  • Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.
Out-of-state students enrolled with 7 or more semester hours, are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment.
Active duty military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003 are not considered Arizona residents.

NSCoyote

im not sure how it would apply to your situation but here in NS your not allowed to park or store vehicles over x kg at your residence. but you are allowed to run a home based business and a business can park or store its vehicles at its registered place of business regardless of size so long as all vehicles can be parked/stored within the confines of the property being allocated for commercial use.

when i moved here from Ontario i brougth 4 trucks down with me 3 where over the x kg weight so i registered a business transfered the trucks to the business and registered my business as a dealer of misc transportation equipment cost me about $1000 in permits annually and such but i could run a single dealer plate and use it on whatever vehicle i chose to use, and as my "leased 10 acres of cleared gravel lot to the business" all vehicles could be parked on site. that worked till my divorce proceedings started and the ex brought up the assets in court. i did manage to keep one cucv for awhile which got sold to pay for the custody battle LOL

like i said not sure how it might work in your neck but thats how i got around the parking restrictions and stayed within the law

man2112

When we registered our deuce in Gila county there were no problems, no emissions, and it was super cheap. But i can't imagine registering in Maricopa county! It is hard enough to have my Ford Ranger registered there!

koyotekvn

Has anyone tried to register any MV trailers? If so what have been your experiences. I am about to go to MVD in Prescott and get mine Titled and Taged. I want to use it as a trailer with no restrictions ( hauling stuff for myself not for hire). Thanks for any intel.Kevin

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone tried to register any MV trailers? If so what have been your experiences. I am about to go to MVD in Prescott and get mine Titled and Taged. I want to use it as a trailer with no restrictions ( hauling stuff for myself not for hire). Thanks for any intel.Kevin
I have 3 MV trailers registered in AZ. It was no different than any other trailer. No restrictions on any of them. $125 for a permanent plate.

Granted I'm from Maryland so this might not apply but you might want to checkout the possibility of registering your trailer in Maine.

Trailer Registrations for Individuals and Fleets Countrywide - MaineTrailerRegistrations.com

In Arizona, you have to register a vehicle in Arizona if it spends more than 7 months in Arizona.

koyotekvn

Matt, Thanks for that info.
Additionally, I am wondering about anything that would prevent the AZ MVD from requiring me to equip / modify my "military" M101 to conform to the states civilian trailer standards, ie. mud flaps. Or am I just going to have to bite the big one to get it legal?

Me :deadhorse: MVD
???????????????????

Thanks Kevin

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt, Thanks for that info.
Additionally, I am wondering about anything that would prevent the AZ MVD from requiring me to equip / modify my "military" M101 to conform to the states civilian trailer standards, ie. mud flaps. Or am I just going to have to bite the big one to get it legal?

Me :deadhorse: MVD
???????????????????

Thanks Kevin
Kevin,

I've never had to modify any of my stuff. In Arizona, if its original equipment, its okay. There are basically no inspections now.

If you are using it commercially, you may have to conform to whatever would be required to pass a commercial inspection. Outside of that, you shouldn't ever run into any issues.

koyotekvn

Matt, Good to know that has been the case with your MV's. I am not going to be commerical and I guess I will just get all the lights and of course the License Plate light working. I have to have MVD inspect it to get a title so...I will try to get it titled and tagged w/o mudflaps being added. The worst is a SNAFU over the mudflaps. Legal height is 8" from ground level to bed and then AzMVD would require them on trailers that need to be inspected to be plated and get a VIN # .I was hoping that you might know something do to it being manfactured as such / former Mil or so on. Just trying to be prepared for the conversation at MVD.
Thanks Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks