• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight Switch, Push Button, up grade

indy4x4fab

Banned
I'm looking for to do the (12484558) Headlight Switch, digital Push Button up grade on my wife's 810 as one of her Christmas presents for her, but I'm having one heck of a time finding one on line for a reasonably price. Can you guys help me out with finding one for her? I have seen the green ones and have one for my m818 which is o.d. green, but I have seen the tan version too, but only pictures of it, never in real life. Does it exist or are these mealy green ones painted tan?

Thanks for Your guys' help in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kascar has them new for $245

Stalwart

I love the switches but they have some faults. The earlier ones were prone to failure, but from what I've heard so could the later units. Some have caused fires! In order to limit the current that they may be switching, some have tried relays on the outputs. There is a problem even with this, the back EMF from the opening of the relay will fry the IC's in the switch. I have 2 with fried IC's. They didn't simply melt, they exploded! I'm using the three lever untill I am finished killing the back EMF problem. I'm using relays on each circuit that has an integral resistor across the coil windings dissapating the low amperage, but high voltage (100+V) back EMF from getting to the IC's. As an added protection, I'm also using diodes as well. IC's typically only like about 5 V DC and even with 12V relays the back EMF can exceed 100V.

My average cost for them has been about $75.00 . . .

kilness

Got mine a little over a year ago for $75 on eBay. Works great. Still like the 3 lever tho. I keep that in the glove box just in case.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I love the switches but they have some faults. The earlier ones were prone to failure, but from what I've heard so could the later units. Some have caused fires! In order to limit the current that they may be switching, some have tried relays on the outputs. There is a problem even with this, the back EMF from the opening of the relay will fry the IC's in the switch. I have 2 with fried IC's. They didn't simply melt, they exploded! I'm using the three lever untill I am finished killing the back EMF problem. I'm using relays on each circuit that has an integral resistor across the coil windings dissapating the low amperage, but high voltage (100+V) back EMF from getting to the IC's. As an added protection, I'm also using diodes as well. IC's typically only like about 5 V DC and even with 12V relays the back EMF can exceed 100V.

My average cost for them has been about $75.00 . . .
$75.00 or there abouts is what I was hoping to spend. I checked ebay but there aren't any up for sale at the moment.

Welder Sam

Ive bought 2 off ebay. One was like new at $85, from a us seller and the other was new in box for $130 from an italian seller. I too will keep the 3 levers in the cab just incase

tim292stro

I bought one on fleabay and one in the classifieds here (both used, under $200), and one direct from Optimum Vehicle Logistics (brand spanking new for about $620).

Note there are two models, the older one and the newer one - the newer one has more protection built-in (ESD/RFI/Overcurrent/reverse-power), I believe the older one is prone to catching fire if overloaded...

View attachment mvlsg3041211.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

PowerstrokeNC

tim292stro

I've never had one catch fire, and the one I'm leaving "stock" is the newest one with all the protection stuff (G3 at $610).

There have been a few fires reported hopefully someone else will chime in.

FloridaAKM

I keep a spare 3 switch unit in case of my original one dying. The pushbutton ones are not within my thinking & tend to be problematic @ best for the ones in my price range!

tim292stro

I have a hypothesis as to why these do catch fire and my custom board design resolves my concerns from that hypothesis while keeping the external appearance the same. If anyone has a burned one I'd like to see it or buy it from you to rebuild :).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks