• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nellis M1009 Recovery 11/03/11 - I Hope!

cpf240

I'll be heading out in the morning for my first ever GL recovery. This will also be my first MV.

Looking at the directions supplied by GL and judicious use of the sat maps, it looks pretty straight forward to get to the base and GL lot. Is there anything I should be aware of, aside from paperwork?

The vehicle was listed as "runs", so the plan is to attempt to drive it home to Santa Clarita, CA. While we are planning to bring a small compressor and an air tank, does GL have facilities for filling tires? The auction pics did show a spare in the back.

I will also be taking a can of fuel, fluids, various tools and spare parts as well.

I know GL Chris said we would have to be off-base by lunch, but how much time will we be allowed to wrench on it from our appointment time until then? Can we leave at lunch, and return after to continue if we are not ready to go?

I have the TMs on my laptop, have printed many of the things from the FAQ threads, and have done lots of reading here. I'm planning on doing the 12v GP resistor bypass before starting it. Should I do the starter relay mod then as well, or maybe just disconnect the relay and jumper it to start, or am I worrying too much that it will pick that moment to fail?

Any other SS members I should look for while there?

Any comments / tips / suggestions / etc appreciated!

Whitey

cpf240,

How accommodating the lot guy Chris is depends on how much time they'll give. A lot of that depends on how busy they are. I've never picked up on the west coast, I'm sure some regulars to Nellis will chime in.

In regards to air. We've always taken a tank and filled up as needed. We've had to add 10-20lbs on most recoveries. I doubt they have a fill up on base unless there's a gas station nearby. Also, don't assume the spare has air. Mine was also padlocked with a very tough American Lock Company lock.

Batteries are another thing. If a lot of people previewed the truck they could have drained the batteries. However, this is more of an issue with Deuces cuz people leave the electric switch on after they cut off the fuel.

Hope that helps a little bit, but it sounds like you're thinking ahead. Take care!

-Whitey

fuzzyone28

Chris is usually pretty busy. No air and he will probably make you move it out side the GL yard to work on it. Had to change my lights on my trailer out side the GL yard, as far as my m1009 I trailered it home. Hope this helps.

cpf240

Thank you all for your responses!

fuzzyone28 - Were you still on-base while you worked on it? It looks to me like the GL location is well inside the gates. If not, was there someplace in public nearby where you could?

Also, a member has asked me to take a look at purchase to be picked up later, any thoughts on if Chris will allow me a few minutes to inspect it for him?

Thanks again!

goodguyzy

when I picked up an A3 there he gave me a jump and I was doing checks but when it came time for lunch it was out the gate time. Also he doesn't like snooping around but if you have the lot numbers I dont think he will mind. Another also is have you checked if he is available, I know he was out and dont know when he will be back.

SPCWarning

CPF240,
Congrats on your new MV! I actually bought mine from an individual who got it from GL down this way, but judging by what I've read here on SS I'd take two hot 750 cca batteries, clean fuel, air tank, tire plug kit incase you find a leak and the spare's no good, coolant, oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, hand tools, electrical tester, and anything else mentioned by other members. Hope this helps. These items are all on my list for "whenever" I get to go make my first recovery from GL. I'm sure I'll add more before I actually go. Best wishes on a safe and uneventful recovery!
Jim

cpf240

when I picked up an A3 there he gave me a jump and I was doing checks but when it came time for lunch it was out the gate time. Also he doesn't like snooping around but if you have the lot numbers I dont think he will mind. Another also is have you checked if he is available, I know he was out and dont know when he will be back.
Cool, thanks for the info! Chris was going on leave for a bit when I scheduled my pickup, and said he would be back on 11/03. I do have the lot number of the vehicle I've been asked to look at, so hopefully I'll be able to provide the SS member with some useful intel.

cpf240

CPF240,
Congrats on your new MV! I actually bought mine from an individual who got it from GL down this way, but judging by what I've read here on SS I'd take two hot 750 cca batteries, clean fuel, air tank, tire plug kit incase you find a leak and the spare's no good, coolant, oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, hand tools, electrical tester, and anything else mentioned by other members. Hope this helps. These items are all on my list for "whenever" I get to go make my first recovery from GL. I'm sure I'll add more before I actually go. Best wishes on a safe and uneventful recovery!
Jim
Thank you! I think I've got everything on your list above, except fuel, as I plan on filling the jerry can once we get near the base. Not sure how much sleep I'm going to get tonight, feeling nervous and a bit excited... hmm... I guess I'm just an MV virgin... rofl

fuzzyone28

Yes I was still on base just out side the GL lot. They don't like unsupervised people roaming the yard. If Chris has time he will let you look, just depends on his schedule.

cpf240

Just a quick update... tired now... :D

Went to Nellis today, met with Chris, and then went out to work on the M1009. Another auction winner was there working on the M1009 right next to mine. We were left alone to work as we liked.

Short version:

Checked fluids, changed flat tire with spare that came with the truck, turned key, dash lit up, wait light went out, cranked and she fired instantly! Attempted to get the other groups M1009 to fire, used jumper cables, but only got a click and no crank. Gave them a hand loading it on their trailer.

Signed out with Chris, drove home.

Longer version and pictures to come later.

Thanks to all for your responses and suggestions!

TJP

Chris is a good guy, but if he is busy he does not talk much. He will not let you work on the unit inside gate. But there is alot of area outside the gate to check things out.

Like goodguyzy said avoid lunch time. I waited outside the gate for about 45 min once.

Good luck and be safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks