• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction and confession of a pack rat....

guardguy

Hey all, I'm new to the board and to collecting (I like that term) military vehicles.

I had an old Willys CJ2A several years ago but had to part with it. Every since then I've been itching to get another comparable vehicle....

I bought a "new" 1953 Studebaker M35 a couple weeks ago and if all goes well I am picking it up this weekend. Not long ago I also started the process of buying another deuce from a buddy of mine that is in the M109 shop van configuration - still haven't started the process of actually paying yet but what's the rush? 8)

Attachments

guardguy

Yes, and that is actually a picture from the ad - I didn't have my camera when I went by to settle up. I'm just northwest of Austin and the Studebaker was in Belton which is just a hop and half skip from here. It's in great shape but the tranny is out... literally in the back of the truck missing the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.
Gas powered (Reo) engine hasn't been started in 7 or 8 years but I think it will fire without too much trouble. Has another tranny and multifuel block in the back.

westfolk

Yeah those old gassers will always go. The most you have to do is shine up the points, give her fresh fuel and she'll take off. I had an M135 that sat for close to 20 years. Put batteries in it, shined the points, dumped a tea cup of gas down the throat and she was up and running. Never did anything to it other than change oil and filters as needed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS! Looks like your on a roll collecting MV's. Good luck with the "new" trucks. :driver:

guardguy

Re: RE: Introduction and confession of a pack rat....

WillWagner said:
Cool lookin truck! What r u gonna do with the 109?
Thanks!

Turning the 109 into a comm truck for our TXSG unit. We've (using the royal "we", that one is not mine) got our 1st M109 pretty much on the way. Has a huge GRC 206 radio system in it. The GRC 206 might move into my M109 or I might find something else.

My M109 is not far from being ready. Couple of friends found me a windshield and soft top. Just need to finish up the installation and paint it. It runs great. May use it to pull the M35 home.

May end up turning the M35 into a comm truck too. www.bunkerofdoom.com has what looks to be a shelter mounted in the back of an M35. Kind of like that idea... although we might just leave it as a troop carrier.

mk

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice truck, I bought the hard top and bed ladder from it about a year ago. There isn't a spec of rust on the truck! The guy has quite the studebaker collection doesn't he :D He also had a very nice weasel that sold just before I bought the hard top. What are you going to do with the multifuel? I think it was missing quite a few pieces, if you want to get rid of it let me know.

guardguy

hndrsonj said:
That's a nice truck, I bought the hard top and bed ladder from it about a year ago. There isn't a spec of rust on the truck! The guy has quite the studebaker collection doesn't he :D He also had a very nice weasel that sold just before I bought the hard top. What are you going to do with the multifuel? I think it was missing quite a few pieces, if you want to get rid of it let me know.
No kidding! He does have quite a collection. I like the school bus / roving grocery store from Utah (or maybe Wyoming?).

What hard top and ladder did it have? Was that from it's life as a fire dept vehicle?

Don't know yet what will end up happening with the multifuel. Since we (there are 3 of us hiding things from our wives... and I'm sure this will turn out well... ;) ) have 4 or 5 multi and the 1 gas we may end up converting this one to diesel.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard top was probably origional, ladder was for a M109 shop van. Bad thing for the top was it was left in the back upside down, I bought it while in the middle east "with no rust what-so-ever". :roll: damm nice truck though!!!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Twelve step program? We don't need no stinking twelve step program!!! :x
We don't suffer from an addiction, we enjoy every minute of it. :D
The best you can hope for is to die flat broke with a big collection of MV's in your yard. :shock:
Welcome to the looney bin. [thumbzup]

guardguy

Looks like have all ducks in a row to pick the '53 Studey up this weekend. Borrowing a towbar from the motor pool tomorrow, meeting Carl at his place Saturday morning, driving the Green Hornet (M109) to Belton.

We'll have to cut the brush guard off in order to mount the towbar. The bar placement blocks the pin removal.

Don't need them for this trip, but the front turn signals I ordered arrived. I'm just a wee bit on the anxious side.... :)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to have you here! Glad to see another state guardsman here. What FD did that truck come from?

guardguy

ken said:
Good to have you here! Glad to see another state guardsman here. What FD did that truck come from?
Thanks Ken!According to the title it was owned by the City of Malvern, Iowa at 1 point so I'm betting that's the FD. When I get face to grill with it Saturday maybe I can read what the door had painted on it.

Where do you drill?

westfolk

Marshall, Keep buying trucks. You can never have to many. As time goes by you will learn to get creative as to how to justify or explain WHY you need another one.

guardguy

westfolk said:
Marshall, Keep buying trucks. You can never have to many. As time goes by you will learn to get creative as to how to justify or explain WHY you need another one.
Thanks, probably too tough a temptation to resist anyway. :)

I guess I needed a new challenge after mastering the art of explaining new additions to the gun safe.... Hard to say that that one was always there, or Carl was borrowing it and finally brought it back.... ;)

19?? M109 Shop Van
1953 Studebaker M35A2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks