• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Classified ads

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello members,
Now that our genius webmaster, Mangus, has the classified section running smoothly, we request that ALL advertisements be placed therein. This will keep the regular forum sections tidy and prevent them from clogging up with ads.

Any ads found in the regular forum categories will be locked after a post has been made notifying the original poster.

I would appreciate the support of all of our members in this matter. If anyone has a problem with this please post up here. Please send any personal attacks, flames and name calling to my asbestos lined PM box.

Thanks,
Chris

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks da_sgt.

Some exceptions would be when a member knows of something that a non-member may be selling or when a member finds some good stuff on e-bay, GSA, GL, etc...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I think announcing items or services for sale on the regular forum works good, it's nice to see what others have to offer without having to go to a different section. I was looking forward to see how well Joe would do with his bobbed deuce. It makes the forum more interesting.

Should polverone's offer to make decals be in the "classified" section?

I show a tachograph, we discuss it and when I offer it for sale, should it be in the "classified" section? Or the hot water personnel heater?
IMHO, I think it will cripple the forum.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also like to see posts of what people are selling and the conversations that follow. I realize that that there is a classified section and I like to "check it" once in a while. But, I mainly read the Main Page to keep up with the daily conversations. I think of the classified section like a newspaper,( when I want to see everything that is for sale or wanted or free, I look there). But as a daily follow up, on the main page it's nice to see what comes up as it comes up ( I know I can go look in the classifieds daily also, but I rarely need to leave the main page with the most current posts there including what people put up for sale.) 2cents
Chris, I'm a little concerned to hear you have an "Asbestos Lined Mailbox" , you should consider having the asbestos removed and maybe you could reline it with a modern fire retardent! rofl

ida34

I placed my response in rant lock forum. I agree with Bjorn that the Forum generates more response than the classifed section. I like to see this stuff come up with the new posts on the opening page.

mangus580

Personally, I have always been on both sides of this fence. Its alot easier to put your foot down, and say absolutley no classifieds in the forum. Thats the easy way to police it. On the other side, I agree, that some things for sale, need and deserve some conversation. This is why I havent really gone out of my way to stop it from happening. Granted, on the other hand, if someone were to post a 'Super Beetle' for sale on the forum... it woulda been kicked quite fast. But in the classifieds, it doesnt matter so much.

Maybe the way to handle this, is to post the ad in the classifieds. If you feel that your ad warrants a discussion, you can post a forum post stating that you have it in the classifieds, and why you felt the need to post in the forum too. (for example, opinions on the asking price, etc)

Things like the Tachograph.... well, that started out in the forum. Originally it wasnt for sale. I feel that noting that it was now available, in the continuation of the post about it was perfectly fine.

When I first came up with the seperate classifeds idea, it stemmed from the fact, that I felt the 'forum based' classifieds made it really difficult to find what was available for sale. It frustrated me trying to read down through the forum and find anything. There was no structure to the ads, and they were a mess.

Lets go with the idea of posting things for sale in the classifieds, and a link from the forum if its deemed needed. (keep in mind, the mods have ulitmate decision here).

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As I posted in the Ranting Locked Post post, putting a teaser in the appropriate forum would be OK. Just link to your classified ad and request that all questions or bids be sent to your PM or email.

Bjorn, ida, doghead, and everyone else, all that I ask is that you use your best judgement about what to post in the forums. If it starts out as a discussion and then turns to a for sale post, leave it there and put an ad in the classifieds.

citizensoldier

MILITARY VEHICLE/STUFF CLASSIFIEDS

Just want to say I like the new classified section. Also want to ask why there is civilian vehicles in it? If I want to find something like that for sale I will check the paper or truck trader. Dont like it on here. What do you guys think?
keep em green man... :evil:

ccain529

Re: MILITARY VEHICLE/STUFF CLASSIFIEDS

citizensoldier said:
Just want to say I like the new classified section. Also want to ask why there is civilian vehicles in it? If I want to find something like that for sale I will check the paper or truck trader. Dont like it on here. What do you guys think?
keep em green man... :evil:
I was just wondering about that. I have a civilian vehicle listed for sale on another site. My intention is to sell it in order to acquire the funds to purchase an MV.
The other site I frequent has restrictions as to "site appropriate" vehicle ads.
My feeling is that the ad should be relevant to the hobby, or helps to promote the hobby in some way. i.e. "WTT my car for a CUCV".... If I felt this was acceptable, I would post my car in the classified section. Can someone please tell me if it's OK to do this?

Thanks

citizensoldier

RE: Re: MILITARY VEHICLE/STUFF CLASSIFIEDS

Well thats a hard call.. I just get excited when I see there are new ads only to open them up and see VW bug for sale. Kinda bothers me... But if you need to sell one to get a MV welllllll.Hmmm But people on this site are not here to buy a civi car either??

ccain529

Re: RE: Re: MILITARY VEHICLE/STUFF CLASSIFIEDS

citizensoldier said:
Well thats a hard call.. I just get excited when I see there are new ads only to open them up and see VW bug for sale. Kinda bothers me... But if you need to sell one to get a MV welllllll.Hmmm But people on this site are not here to buy a civi car either??
Yes sir, that was kinda my feeling too. I wonder if there could be an "other" catagory added to the classifieds to fit that bill? Just a thought.

mangus580

RE: Re: MILITARY VEHICLE/STUFF CLASSIFIEDS

I have been of the mind, as long as its not a 'new member' that is trying to post an off topic ad.... I dont have anything against it. Of course, this applied to the classifieds ad section.... not the forum that Chris just opened back up.

Hookin1

I agree on putting it in the classifieds and then discussing-linking it into the forum....as for sale i realize that we all own green and it it goes 2 ways for me...i also own a boat and a camper.....i'm sure some people have more than one hobby,,,,,and just like selling my truck i would want to give my friends here an opportunity to buy it first b-4 i sold it anywhere else....but i also wrestle with the idea that if i do it then how many civvie vehicles would end up in the want ads.....then you end up scrolling through tons of ads...sort of a catch22 situation....but in all seriousness i believe in the best for the site to leave it all military related...if i do sell my boat i would post it in off topic discussions and then a link to the add where i post it off site...just my 2cents

citizensoldier

civy section maybe???

I think we need a civi,boat,4 wheeler,car and on and on section so we dont have to scroll down through that stuff if we dont want to. Just not the propper place for it. My humble 2cents
You make sense about other hobbies we all have them, but I come here to talk,buy and learn O.D..
Its nice to have a free place to try and sell to people that are of the same interests and hobbies. I would not go to a Honda site to sell a 5 ton dump.. Sorry I just dont like it.... :(
I mean no disrespect Hookn1.. Your approach is a good one about linking to another outside site...

BIGDIG

Ok,so I guess Im missing something here.I cant seem to post a price on my items,or am I just looking at this all wrong???
The classified ad part is confusing.

HikerLT

the other issue is How Long does it take an ad to be posted. I created an ad , and it still is under review and not posted and it has been a week now.....

At first I thought I had not properly posted it , as it did not appear, so I re-entered the ad...

so now I have TWO of these same ads that are still "pending approval"...

What is the resonable ampunt of time we should plan for, time-wise, for ads to be reviewed and approved and finally posted for others to see....?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks