• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stubborn Transfer case /Differential plugs

Joe Gamma

I got a 3/4 inch breaker bar to remove the plug on my Transfer case since the fluid is yellow. It laughed at me (but it was cold) I remember when checking the rear diff and eventually replacing it that I held the breaker in place while my friend, a real mechanic, kicked it with his foot and finnally loosened the rear one. Any tips or tricks to approach this? I bet it hasn't been opened in ten years..

Joe

Gamagoat1

That means some D...A.. tightened it too tight. You can put a short piece of pipe on the handle of your breaker bar and turn it. Just don't let it slip out of the hole, Those plugs aren't cheap.

When you put it back wrap a couple of rounds of teflon tape on the threads. It shouldn't be that tight even after 30 years.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an extremely stubborn drain plug on a differential once that was so tight I was concerned that something would break when using a long breaker bar. Someone told me to drive the vehicle until the differential case was warm and then hold a piece of dry ice against the plug for a minute. After doing this, the plug came out using the breaker bar but I'm not convinced the dry ice helped that much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks