• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best/easiest engine swap

doinworkinvans

i do believe mine is on its way out. If i were to put somethimg diff in its place, what is the easiest (which i know is a relative term here) to swap for such as placement and fitting correctly.

Tanner

...not to be a smarta**, but another 230 is the easiest swap.

What are you looking to do with the truck? Parade queen? Fun toy? Daily-driver?

Where in NC are you located?

'Tanner'

doinworkinvans

I'm in wilson about 45 mins east of you. I really just want a fun toy that I can tool around in on the weekends. Its just there's always something going wrong with it every other day seems like. Just very frustrating that I haven't been able to enjoy it. Aren't spare 230 engines hard to come by?

Bill W

The 318ci v-8 conversion is suppose to be a pretty straight forward swap being I've read that the old 230 bellhousing will bolt right up to it. If memory serves me right you would also look for a old cast steel timing cover/front engine mount which will bolt up to the old (230) front mount crossover bracket. Also make sure the 318 has a rear sump oil pan ( truck engine ).
You might also want to go post your querry either at Joe's Powerwagon forum Dodge Power Wagon Forum #377
or at the G741 site g741.org • Index page

OD_Coyote

IMHO the easiest and coolest would be to install a rebuilt/balanced 230 or 251.
If I were going for a daily driver I might consider going with a 4BT or 6BT Cummins.2cents

Tanner

Another option to consider is a built & balanced 230 or 251 with a 5-speed overdrive manual transmission behind it - or consider swapping in a late model Jeep straight 6 & corresponding transmission. 4BT Cummins makes a nice swap, but it isn't cheap; 6BT swap is even more of a challenge with the extra weight & the rear two cylinders in the cab.

The 318 swap kit isn't available any longer from Helitool/Uglytruckling - and it is a big endeavor to undertake. http://uglytruckling.com/M37 Trucks/M37 V8 conversion.htm

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Bill W

Another option to consider is a built & balanced 230 or 251 with a 5-speed overdrive manual transmission behind it - or consider swapping in a late model Jeep straight 6 & corresponding transmission. 4BT Cummins makes a nice swap, but it isn't cheap; 6BT swap is even more of a challenge with the extra weight & the rear two cylinders in the cab.

The 318 swap kit isn't available any longer from Helitool/Uglytruckling - and it is a big endeavor to undertake. M37 V8 conversion

'Tanner'
Not as big a deal if you using the stock tranny/bellhousing and in leiu of the custom engine mounts you go with the afore mentioned cast steel timing cover/engine mount that was used on older 318's.
Ugli truckling hasn't made mount kits since he packed up and moved the business to Thialand

Tanner

...and availability of cast steel 318 cover is? Just re-read the instructions that Ray posted & there's a lot of adaptation & machine work involved in adapting the M37 transmission. Uglytruckling's kit used the 318/360 bellhousing & many custom bits to adapt the NP420/435 trans - it doesn't adapt the M37 bellhousing -

doinworkinvans - tell us more about the issues you're having with the truck - are they drivability issues, electrical issues, motor low on power...??

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Bill W

...and availability of cast steel 318 cover is?'
Just about as hard to find as a good 230 block and alot easier to do than a 4bt conversion that you suggest.

Doin
If your mind is set on going with a different engine, A buddy of mine has a 251 in one of his 37's and its a night and day difference with performancs and there is not alot to do to make one fit.

I had my 230 balanced and bored ( .030 over ) it ran great but it was still not what a 251 puts out

Attachments

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just want to thank everybody here, you all have given alot of good advice. I, myself am thinking about an upgrade of some sorts one day. What would be a good transmission choice, if using a certain motor. Cummins- nv4500, 318-?, chevy 350- ?, etc.

Thanks, Ron

doinworkinvans

OK - so here goes. I got this truck from a buddy who has two more and was just an extra project. Im in love with it and want it to be as good as it can so I can enjoy it. Granted, due to work schedule I have only at most 2 days a week to work on it. Its only been run up and down the path some here at the house due to the fact im not enitrely comfortable taking it anywhere else. Brakes seem to be ok. Shifting doesnt seem too bad, kinda rough at times (although it could be me). What most bothers me is the engine. It isnt a stock M37 engine I dont believe. It looks exactly the same but there are reasons to make me think its not. First thing that gave it away for me is that the oil dipstick on M37 engines thread into the block. The oil dipstick on here has no threads in the block you have to mash it in, like it was formed in or something. Same goes for the oil filler neck. Also the throttle linkage had to be shortened some to work right. Coming from the bellhousing on the carb something just wouldnt line up just right so it had to be adjusted a little. Im thinking it could just be a civy power wagon motor?? Ill try to get some pictures up of my truck and engine soon which you guys will be able to see exactly what it looks like. Power doesnt seem to be an issue. It frustrates me the most that it seems like everytime i turn it on ive got another oil leak somewhere. Very frustrating to me, and exactly why I dont trust it to ride just up the road a little ways. Im also not that good at engines which limits me some. Ive learned A TON by working with this thing, just ready to be able to enjoy it. For instance, i think now its leaking oil from where the fuel pump bolts up to the block. Maybe the seal is bad there?? Once i post pictures of the engine maybe you guys can lead me in the right direction. Thanks for all your help and ill do my best to describe whats going on and such. Thanks again!

Tanner

Just about as hard to find as a good 230 block and alot easier to do than a 4bt conversion that you suggest.

Doin
If your mind is set on going with a different engine, A buddy of mine has a 251 in one of his 37's and its a night and day difference with performancs and there is not alot to do to make one fit.

I had my 230 balanced and bored ( .030 over ) it ran great but it was still not what a 251 puts out
I didn't suggest the 4BT conversion; I mentioned that it's a pricey option & a good bit of effort.

doin can drop in the 318, but fuel mileage will still suck. If he's new to the truck, I'd recommend fixing up what he has now & getting the brakes,steering up to snuff, then look into engine issues. 251 is longer (as you know) & requires moving radiator forward - but not a hard swap. You still lack overdrive trans & only optional gearing is 4.89 in axles or larger diameter tires to cheat the road speed. You could install a 5-speed OD transmission behind the 230, but there may be need to move transfer case & modify driveshafts depending on transmission used.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Tanner

I an using a 6.2, I have couple of choices with with tranny set up but sm465 with a 205 is the likley choice.
There are a number of choices to use behind the 6.2/6.5 motors, like the SM465, but I'd recommend going to an overdrive 5-speed transmission if you stay with the stock 5.83 final drive ratio in order to have decent road speed -

'Tanner'

Bill W

I didn't suggest the 4BT conversion; I mentioned that it's a pricey option & a good bit of effort.

doin can drop in the 318, but fuel mileage will still suck. If he's new to the truck, I'd recommend fixing up what he has now & getting the brakes,steering up to snuff, then look into engine issues. 251 is longer (as you know) & requires moving radiator forward - but not a hard swap. You still lack overdrive trans & only optional gearing is 4.89 in axles or larger diameter tires to cheat the road speed. You could install a 5-speed OD transmission behind the 230, but there may be need to move transfer case & modify driveshafts depending on transmission used.

'Tanner'
Actually the rad can stay where its at you just have to remove the fan spacer off the water pump, it would be a close fit but only issue would be when it came time to change the fan belt being the fan blade would only be about 1/2-3/4" from the radiator fins

Bill W

Nope
You can't move to the forward side of the support as would interfere/block the bottom rad flow pipe. You could possible move the whole rad support forward but than none of the associated sheet metal would fit. Now if you could find the correct offset Canadian M-37 radiator that would work even better being ( as you know ) the Cdn M-37's came with 251's

My friend ( Bill L ) has a 251 in his 37 and the rad has not been moved and the 251 fits. (just )
I went thru this several years ago when I bought another 37 with the intensions to make it a bogger and was considering/researching what other powerplant(s) to put in it.

doinworkinvans

thanks to everyone who has posted! You guys are a wealth of knowledge i could only hope to understand one day. I promise im gonna get some pics up soon so you can see what im working with here, again thanks for everything and keep it coming!

-Daniel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks