• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a Dolly Converter

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does anyone think a dolly converter could be made out of a generator trailer with dual wheel axles? I am thinking of that line welding up the rails and mounting an older civilian fifth wheel to it. I know we used the M354 two axle ones in Desert Storm since we did not have enough tractors in the Division to tow all the trailers. The drivers hated them because behind the M923 they were slower than dirt and could not be backed but it is a handy thing to have for moving trailers or chassis.

Attachments

CGarbee

Scrounger

It can be done. The problem is getting air to the trailer. If it is and old M127 with air over hydraulic it would work without brakes. However a newer trailer with double diaphragm brake chambers would need air to release them. And then still no brakes for stopping. The best route would be to look at how the air lines, air tank and valves are done on a M197A1 converter dolly.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK I won the M200A1 and now am looking for a fifth wheel since M 818's went to one selfish dude who won all of the ones in PA I am going the cheap but doable route and have a source for a used fifth wheel for about $250.00 is that the going rate or do any of you know where a servicable one can be found near Baltimore for less than that? I still have kids to put through college and any savings is passed on to that fund.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a M197. If you need help with how the plumbing for the brakes go just let me know and i'll get you some pics. But i would just run your glad hands strait to the trailor and forget the dollys brakes.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks Ken and Kenny,
If you could post some pictures in the gallery that would be great, I think I agree with you on the bypass route I was thinking having a valve that would allow me to turn them on and off, on for the dolly alone and off with a tagged trailer. I am hoping to get this done before the cold sets in.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Since it will be a M 200A1 variant and will be longer than a conventional converter I think so since it is the length of my M 105A2 and has the dual tires granted it does not weigh much empty but it is not a lightweight item like an automotive car dolly. perhaps Garabee can chime in on his and how well it works towing an M 127 or something of that size.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your M200 has functoning brakes already, all you have to do is tee into the airlines and add a pair of gladhands on hoses to attach to the semi trailer.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joel, Yea you can feel it. It bounces adound a lot. But under my M127 it pulls great!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I picked up the fifth wheel on Saturday and I really want to go back to that yard since they have tons of truck parts and an M 872 trailer sitting in their yard. I will post a picture of the fifth wheel that I picked up on this thread but it is already in my photo album on the site.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Update on the M 200A1 Dolly Converter

This is an update on the Dolly that I am making from a commercial fifth wheel and an M 200A1 chassis I have tried to load other update pictures to this post and it is not allowing me to do this I will try to make a new post following this and see if they post

Merry Christmas to all

Attachments

ida34

RE: Update on the M 200A1 Dolly Converter

If you don't mind answering, what does one have to shell out to get a fifth wheel assembly?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Update on the M 200A1 Dolly Converter

The one you see on my tailgate is a manual slider and I paid $200 for it cash including tax from a good truck salvage yard. It had some rust underneath but is in good shape and is going on my M 200A1. I plan on finishing this soon and will continue to update the photos

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks