• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M561 Goat Coolant What Type

Charlie 6

I read somewhere but of course can not find it, that the M561 Aluminum Block require special coolant. Can anyone let me know if this is true and what they use?

Last edited:

Emmett

deuceaid, good question. If you use the red coolant you might want to add silicate to it.
I know the International 466 type engines use the red stuff but the silicate keeps the seals in the sleves, etc from failing.
I have no idea what the military designation for the red coolant is.

Gamagoat1

The very best way to handle this is to ask a Detroit dealer. It's free and will save you a lot of grief. They will, of course, try to sell you their brand ($$$) but ask them for an equivelant brand.

I have used NAPA Extended Life in mine for many years with out a hint of rust or chemical reaction. It's made for use in engines made from aluminum or any other metal and combinations there of, gas or diesel. The formula is the same as Detroit requirements and is good for five years or 150,000 miles. The 50/50 Prediluted is good for -34 degrees freeze protection. It's green but mixes with all.

Last edited:

Charlie 6

I just got the goat last weekend and tested the antifreeze when I brought it home, it tested only to +5. So I need to replace it this weekend while outside temp is still mild. So far NAPA sounds like the direction I will go. Thanks for your replies any more will be greatly appreciated. Manual says 19 qts, that much I prefer to mix it myself and save the $.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you mix it yourself, you really should not use "tap" water.

Buy distilled water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks