• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has Anyone Finished Their M820 RV?

Blind Driver

I see many hopeful builds, but have not found one completed truck.

Lots of M109 RVs, but I'm wanting more room. I'm thinking an old U-Haul box on a duece might be my best best.

I may heading to the North Dakota oil patch in a month or two, but I may go with a travel trailer until my cash flow recovers.

Last edited:

dburt

A U-haul box on a 5 ton or even a deuce makes sense. Of course you will have more load capability with the 5-ton. I just wish the 5-ton with the 250 Cummins would do better with fuel mileage. And with a bulky, heavy RV unit on the back, the mileage will suffer even more. I'm figuring at least $1 per mile cost to drive one outfitted like the ultimate off-road RV. That is based on the current cost locally of about $4 plus a little change for a gallon of diesel. GrayNomad figures his costs down under based on a top road speed of 40mph to save fuel, and it seems his Aussie based 5 ton truck is more economical then our 800 series based trucks.

Sirblissfull

I need to update my build thread this week actually.

The axles and engine are being rebuilt this week and getting rolling on the rest of the box tear down and fabrication.

New member Modern Diesel Legion is taking over the project and has dived in head first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks