• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Pintle

bbq'r

I have a M762 trailer and want to use the correct pintle. I looked through the manual and it really doesn't discuss the pintle. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

Thank you

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tongue on the trailer is the lunette. The hitch on the tow vehicle is the pintle. Which do you need the size of?

Welcome to the SS craziness.

bbq'r

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking for the correct pintle. I have a Buyer's pintle but have had problems with binding when backing up at times. It was suggested to try a military pintle. So, I thought I would get the correct pintle that would have been used with a M762 trailer. I'm not sure if the same pintle was used on the g503, m38 and m151.
Thanks again,
Jim
Tulsa

quickfarms

Jim

What is the weight rating on the pintle that you have?

The jeeps use a 8 ton pintle that is similar but not the same, the ww2 one is different.

Your trailer is the generator version of the m416 and the Lunette should rotate on the trailer, but it may be seized. Put a long breaker bar in the Lunette and se if you can rotate, it would not heart to grease it first.

How is it binding?

bbq'r

It binds sometimes when I'm turning and backing uphill. Pretty loud bang. In fact, last time it happened it bent the mounting plate somewhat (I have the receiver hitch mounting plate that the pintle bolts on to). I've greased the lunette several times. I can't turn it by hand but haven't tried a breaker bar. It was mentioned that the military pintles are slightly different than the commercial pintles and the military pintles should not bind at all. Plus, it would be nice to have a military pintle to go along with the trailer.
Thank you for your reply.
Jim
Tulsa

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you are saying you have a receiver hitch wit a pintle bolted to it? Some thing like these?

If so you may be able buy a used pintle from a M1009 and bolt it to your receiver.

I have not checked the bolt pattern but it should be close and made to work.

Attachments

Last edited:

gijoe13

The taller mounting plates are not as stable. If it is bending you need to weld in some bracing as it will fatigue over time.

Pawnshop

That trailer was designed to be pulled behind an M151 so the M151 pintle would be the "correct" one. I second the notion to free your lunette so it rotates, you may have to back the nut off some to free it up, you should be able to turn it by hand with a short bar through it (not EASILY, but by hand). I have a Harbor Freight pintle/ball on my M1009 and have towed my M416 many a mile off road and on with no binding issues.

bbq'r

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll find a pintle for a M151 and I'll also take a breaker bar to the lunette and see if I can rotate it. I did take the bent mounting plate back to where I bought it and they gave me another one for free, no questions asked!
Jim
Tulsa, OK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks