• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 400 pyro and boost gage installation with photos

Autocar

I installed AutoMeter pyro and boost gages in my M915A1 tractor. AutoMeter because I come from a racing backround and always liked their gages. I mounted the gages on an aluminum block so that I could prewire and plumb the gages out of the truck. I used the existing dash mounting screws to hold the gage block. One problem is that you sit low in race cars, but sit very high in a truck, so there was not enough upward angle on the gages with the stock mounting brackets. I modified these to allow more up angle.

Attachments

Autocar

I enlarged the wiring hole for the fan wires in the dash so that I could run the thermocouple wire, the boost tubing, and the electrical wiring down into the dash. It is very tight getting access to the underside of the dash. I had to work thru the glove box and remove the circuit breaker panels to get access. Even then I could barely get the wiring in place. I don't understand how such a big vehicle can have so little room to work. When I drilled the exhaust manifold for the pre turbine pyro, I very carefully measured so that I drilled exactly in the center of the manifold. Didn't realize that Cummins put a divider wall in the middle of the manifold. I guess that was the practice hole. I moved over and redrilled it. I tapped both holes with an 1/8 NPT and plugged the practice hole. The other hole got the fitting that holds the thermocouple. I picked up the boost pressure on the fitting in the aftercooler manifold. This fitting sends pressure to the IP to limit fuel until boost comes up(anti-smoke deal). I replaced the SAE tee with an NPT tee with an SAE fitting for the original boost line and then used the boost gage tubing fitting in the other side of the tee. Feed the boost line and the thermocouple thru the firewall with an existing grommeted hole.

Attachments

Last edited:

Autocar

I powered the gages up with a wire to the "on" terminal of the ignition switch. For the gage lights, there are some terminated pigtales for dash gage lighting. I opened up the gage swing down panel and found some of these pigtales and spliced the AutoMeter gage lights into them. It works great-the gages go live when you turn on the ignition and the AutoMeter gage lights go live when you turn on the headlights and dim with the headlight dimmer switch. Makes a really nice installation. Haven't got the truck out with a load yet, but just crusing down the highway at 65 MPH bobtailing runs about 3 PSI boost at 650 degrees F. Idles at about 300 degrees and 0 boost.

Attachments

Last edited:

cornrichard

Looks great! Please post numbers when you get a chance to pull a load. I plan to get around to this on mine someday. I bet the boost pressure with a good load will surprise you. Thanks for the great pics also.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a solid install. I like the spot you chose for the gauges. This is something I would like to do to my M916.

How do you prevent the chips from drilling the hole from ending up inside the turbo? Is that a concern?

DieselBob

Not a concern about the chips. They are, if any, on the hot side and will just blow out. If you really are worried you could drill the hole with the engine running.

Autocar

Thanks for the compliments. I drilled a little, then blew away the chips, then drilled again,etc. This meant when I broke thru there were very few chips. The chips are so small that I think they just go into the turbo housing and as soon as you start the engine, they get blown out the exhaust. The gage location worked out really well. They are very easy to read. If anyone is interested, I can post a drawing of the gage mounting block.

Last edited:

Hooty481

In my m818 i used the type of pyro probe that make it own power so the gusge doesn't need any. then i installed a 24v bulb for the light. but i would imagine he got the power from some of the trailer side with the civy 12volt power. but could not have.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the compliments. I drilled a little, then blew away the chips, then drilled again,etc. This meant when I broke thru there were very few chips. The chips are so small that I think they just go into the turbo housing and as soon as you start the engine, they get blown out the exhaust. The gage location worked out really well. They are very easy to read. If anyone is interested, I can post a drawing of the gage mounting block.
When I drilled the exhaust manifold on my deuce for the pyrometer thermocouple, I did it running. The theory is that what few fine chips go into the manifold get blown through the turbo and out the exhaust.

The turbo still works fine three years later. I'd say it worked fine.

Autocar

The M915A1 uses mostly 12 volts-only uses 24 for starting and military trailers, so it was an easy hook up. If you have a 24 volt system, the best thing to do is to use a voltage converter as mentioned in other threads. You can also make one using a low cost voltage regulator circuit. I could sketch up a circuit if you needed. My trucks and trailer are army out of French Camp GL.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks