• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Backing up a 105

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The key is lugnuts. Everything needed to back the 105 is based on lugnuts. Once the trailer lugnuts dissappear from your mirror, you've about lost it. Keep the lugnuts in view and the trailer will do fine. Low range is your (and your clutch's) friend. End gates stored on the sides also help visibility a bit. I'd compare it to backing a paddle mixer with a pickup truck.

emr

Its just practice, like said shorter harder, but still easy when U practice, and like so well said, keep one side in view, lugs are perfect, :driver: Oh and a very good point, LOW is for ALL backing up and working around tight spots and parking,

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much easier to do with the power steering in a 5 ton. I had to back up an M105A2 with an M814...not the best/easiest combination...but was able to back the trailer up in a "somewhat" straight line for about 100+ yards. I did have to straighten the trailer out once. To me, the steering on a deuce is one of the limiting factors...no way to steer your way out of trouble quick enough, hence the difficulty.

Katahdin

I don't think I can see the 105 lug nuts around my 109 box with elephant ear mirrors. I plan to install a backup camera on the top of the box to look down at the 105. I already have a camera installed above the pintle hitch, works great for backing up to it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................................To me, the steering on a deuce is one of the limiting factors...no way to steer your way out of trouble quick enough, hence the difficulty.
:ditto:
Yet another reason to do the PS-conversion...!:wink:

G.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

MArch 4th, 2012.

I agree with Recovery 4X4 above, practice, practice, practice... and when you can't see the lugnuts or the sidegates on the trailer, it's about to do a 90* on you. They are easier to back up then ball hitched trailers, and if your deuce has air steering and low range, you are king of the trailer.... However, if it is beyond you to back with the trailer, mount a pintle in the center of your front bumper and you should be able to park the trailer anywhere... that mod was often done on QMD yard trucks to handle moving trailers around the yard....[thumbzup]

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to back mine out every time I drive it. Popo go all butt hurt that I had the 105 backed in and the tongue under the front bumper of the truck. I have to back it out 30 yards, turn it around and back the trailer into it's spot every time I wana drive the truck. R4X4 is correct, just watch the lugs, it's easy.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M-105 (or any small trailer) is hard to see past the bed on my U-1300 Unimog so I have a piece of 4" diameter white PVC pipe to strap to the back of the trailer for critical backing. Hang the pipe in the tailgate chains loop if your trailer has chains. The pipe ends can be seen easily and lengthen the 'sight spacing' compared to the lug nuts.

bob

wikallen

My 105s is not visible in my mirrors at all on my m109, but I notice my mirrors are not as wide as others.

I mounted Jerry cans to each side of the trailer toward the back. Now I can just see it in my mirror, so I no longer have a problem backing it.