• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M762 Yard Sale find.

CJ_Tiz

Guess you can say I'm a noob to the foum but have been lurking for a year or so.

I was on a hunt to find a M416 trailer to pull behind my 83' CJ7. With very little luck over the last couple years. (I have a low budget) I was driving around yard sales on a beautiful Saturday morning when I came across a 1967 M762 Flatbed trailer.

It shares the same frame as the M416 but with less weight its rated at 3/4 ton. The previous owner found it in a barn when he purchased some property and has had it sitting under a tarp for several years. Thankfully he left the hand brake off as the cable is shot and locked up in the sleeve. There is some surface rust but very little. There is no rot and the under carriage looks like a 9.5 out of 10.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hadn't seen one of those before; what were they used for? What's the piece on the tongue used for?

CJ_Tiz

It was used to carry several pieces of equipment ranging from a light tower to a welder. The thing on the tongue is so you can relocate the eye higher to tow behind a taller vehicle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great score. I'd love to find one of these. The secondary lunette spot can be priceless. Just curious, how many sheckels did it set you back?

CJ_Tiz

The old man who had it and I didn't know what to offer him. Its my first purchase like this. He said $100 and I know for a fact he was low balling himself so I doubled that and we both left very happy.

CJ_Tiz

I also need to figure out how to run lights and get it registered. I'm in Florida and not sure if I just have to get a weight ticket from a scale and register it as a home built.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill of sale and weight slip will get you a tag or you can register in in ME and for $90 have a 5 yr tag.

CJ_Tiz

Plans for now are too keep it original. Anything I do to it will be able to unbolt from the original deck. I'm using it to mount coolers and tool boxes and spare parts for camping trips and outings.

I will probably just register it here in FL as it seems easy to do. As far as lights I want to leave the the original housing but going to see if there is a way to mount an LED or 12v bulb in side it.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Plans for now are too keep it original. Anything I do to it will be able to unbolt from the original deck. I'm using it to mount coolers and tool boxes and spare parts for camping trips and outings.

I will probably just register it here in FL as it seems easy to do. As far as lights I want to leave the the original housing but going to see if there is a way to mount an LED or 12v bulb in side it.
[thumbzup] Glad it will be original. For lights you can swap in 12 volt bulbs, then put on gama goat lenses, which are a full red lens instead of the tiny lenses.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I haven't seen one of those before. It looks like one might be just about the right size for something like my MEP-003A genset, and the ability to move the lunette for different vehicle sizes looks awesome! Up-bidding to a more fair price was a class act, too, and the final price was still a great deal IMHO. [thumbzup]

FrankUSMC

I have had one of them for about 15 years when the Marines sold them off. On mine I have mounted a generator and an air compressor. The plan was when I go to a junk yard that I knew had old military trucks I could take power and air tools with me.
Great little trailers.
I have a second one here also, but it has rust in the bed. It also has the bigger 750:16 tires on it. Someone needs to make me an offer on it.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks