• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NJ trailer registration

sperduton

Just checking here to see if any NJ folks have registered their m101a2 trailers.
They're light enough that they don't need a title.
I have a notarized bill of sale from the seller and a notarized bill of sale from GL to the last owner (who never registered the trailer)
I just know when I go to DMV with the paperwork and the Vin number which is 4 digits, it's going to throw up a red flag.
Anyone been through this?

THanks,
Nick

I have yet to register mine but when I do it will be through Maine. Do a search there have been alot of people do it. You can do it all through the mail as a non-resident. I think the cost is $120 for 10 years or something like that. Way cheaper than New Jersey and probably easier.

sperduton

Ok, thanks for the info.
My plan is to do......
a) go see about registering a homebuilt trailer as I need a plate for a small boat trailer anyway and see how that goes, if I can get one for the boat trailer then it's a backup plan for the A2, but I have the feeling that a homemade plate is not so simple in NJ anymore. I need to see if they enforce the new rules, I know they had new motorcycle registration rules that they don't enforce.
b) go with DMV the notarized bill of sale from the seller to me and the from GL to the seller, but I think they'll toss me out because of the short vin number.
c) maine registration in a buddies name, then sold to me and registered in NJ. Technically while the trailer would have a maine plate, it's not legal in NJ to live here and have a vehicle registered in another state with a NJ address.
Although I've had trailers for 28 years and I currently have 6 trailer registrations. 2 are homemade and 2 were non titled trailers, 2 are campers. The non titled trailers were brand new and the homemade trailers were ones I registered years ago. Also taking into account that I've never been asked to show a trailer registration and I'm pretty bad, I don't even carry the registrations with me but I'd still like to be legit for when someone decides to run the trailer plate.

deucebigalo

NJ Trailer REG.

I have registered many of these trailers in NJ. Let me start by saying it is a pain in the a**. It all depends on who you talk to at DMV. In rahway DMV I had many done. I have even went to special vehicle services in Trenton to have it done. After doing this once they told me that each agency can do this and I should not have any problems and to let them know to call the special vehicle services unit in trenton. They did and miraculously I had a registration in my hands. Try to have a copy of the sf97 and as much paperwork to show the history of the sales of the trailer....also a rubbing of the data plate helps too.

sperduton

Dumb question. What's a SF97, all I have is a notarize bill of sale from government liquidators to the previous owner (who just got it in January) and one notarized bill of sale from him to me.
DMV is not that far and the trailer is on my car trailer. I could bring it to them for them to see in person.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dumb question. What's a SF97, all I have is a notarize bill of sale from government liquidators to the previous owner (who just got it in January) and one notarized bill of sale from him to me.
DMV is not that far and the trailer is on my car trailer. I could bring it to them for them to see in person.

The SF-97 is the release from the government of the trailer . It cost the buyer a extra $ 60 dollars and alot of people don't get them for trailers . Which in turn can cause headaches for future purchessers if in was never titled or plated.

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

I've had very good luck at the Newton office, one w/ an A2 w/ 4 digits. Not every location is fluent in this stuff.

They usually pad the 4 digit VIN w/ year and such to make their own, esp if a duplicate record exists. For example, my 1990 Kasel 101A2 VIN 3304 became KAS330490.

The essential thing is to have the papers that show a clear history of the trailer's ownership and the proper forms downloaded from their website.

I also did my asking in detail through the NJ MVC site, explained exactly what I had, and got an email response of what to do. I had with me. Seems that if counter workers have questions or feel in danger of thinking, written instructions from Trenton give them a hiding place.

Steve

Last edited:

aheilmann68

dont want to bring up a dead thread but i just got this done with only a bill of sale i went to the washington dmv on my way back from buying a 1001 and was driving it back from phillipsburg to butler. I bought it from another man so no forms and he never had it regestered but it was not that bad. I went in told them i needed plates and what to do they gave me a bunch of bull over no VIN and all that and it skipped someone (opened my mouth a little too much) but they worked with me and set it up as home made for i think 4000 lbs and since march is the renewal for trailer regs evidently they were like picked a great time to buy i mean build a trailer. I know if i went to the wayne dmv it would have been a different situation. Now im just trying to figure out how to reg a m35 in nj since im interested in one

good luck if you still havent gotten it

m816

I just go to the local Dmv and register it as a nontitled trailer and list the weight a 4000lbs Haven't had any trouble with them. They changed in the last couple years for historic plates also You no longer have to go to Trenton to get them. I've been using the Springfield Office. They generally arn't too stupid and don't give ya any attitude. Not like the post office or Mcdonalds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks