• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 axle width

cjk3500

Does anyone know the axle width of an M1102? I need to put two on my flatbed but I only have 82" between the fenders. I know the overall width of the trailer is 86" so I was thinking about pulling the wheels but I don't know if I will gain enough clearance.

Thanks!

3dAngus

cjk,

From the inside of one tire, to the inside of the other tire, you have 61".
From the outside of one tire, to the outside of the other tire, you have 84".
If you remove the tire, you will free up about 3" on each side at the bottom. Then you have the spiindle to deal with.

You have two choices.

The easiest is to have the forklift operator lift the trailers up on your trailer in a manner situatuated where the tires will miss the wheel wells of the carrier trailer. This will probably mean going tongue to tongue in the center of the trailer.

The other is to remove the M1102 HMMWV tires, and set the hubs up on blocks of wood, not concrete, so the spiindle or axle center is above the fenders, and tie down with extra chains and binders, with emergency hand brake on.

Either should work, depending on your trailer length and the forklift operator. Good luck, and let us know how it goes so others may follow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks