• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GPW new paint job

trooper632

Decided to put a new coat of paint on my 1944 GPW, Picked this up about 10 years ago from a man down the road. He owned a jeep dealership in LA, many years ago and then moved to Texas. He had about 15 different types of jeeps sitting around his property. I would help him out with things around his place and one day he called and said "come over I found a jeep in the back and want to know if you want it", well I went over and he showed my this one, (and not wanting to rude I took it off his hands). It has a delivery date of June '44, and has mostly all the correct scripted "F" bolt heads everywhere, The engine and frame numbers are the same too. I rebuilt the motor even though it still turned and took the body off the frame, sandblasted and painted it. the only thing that doesnt work is the horn (not there). And then I picked up the Bantam trailer about 2 months ago for about a hundred bucks. This is one I dont think I will ever get rid of, its my favorite of all my MV's.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

November 14th, 2012.

Trooper632:

The screens in the front of the trailer are very interesting, I wonder if they are factory or later modifications applied for some particular need in some unit? The jeep is one of the nicer Fords I have seen, remember back when most of these were bought for cheap and beat to death. An amazing number of the ones I had known back in West Virginia had the later M38 transmissions and engines put in by the Army, I guess the originals were not over powered and did not handle towing equipment well across country. I had an uncle who had one, and I made lots of $$$ after he would take it out and clog the grille full of grass and try to push a few trees over with it... I always felt sorry for that jeep, but then he suckered a young fellow (not me) to buy it for more then he'd paid for it (and no, it wasn't one of the famed "Jeeps in a Crate" the old guys are always telling you about). Keep it up, it looks like a worthy heirloom.

thidisbogus

Nice looking jeep and trailer. Can you post some photos of the engine and driver compartments? Are you using the trailer plug for the trailer lights?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks