• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint questions

FreightTrain

Banned
Next year some time I want to slap a new coat of paint on the deuce so it is one color.Thinking of going with 87 OD.I kinda like the Brown OD.What brand is THE best?I want long lasting.Also,what about hardners,thinners,Primers,Sealers,etc?How much would it take to totally do a M35A2?Frame,Axles,engine,Tranny,driveshafts,Sheetmetal,Interior(thinking of DIY bedliner for floors in both cab and bed),Wheels,and whatever else I forgot.Plan on replacing the bed since mine is rusted out on the front and a front fender(small rust hole but I pretty much killed it when I hit a tree stump....OOPS) so I might as well go the extra little bit and pull the other fender and cab and paint everything.Going to have the metal blasted too so I will need to seal and prime the metal.

67Beast

I used 6 gallons of Gillespie 24087 to completely paint my deuce. That was to paint everything! I also used the paint recomendations on Army Jeep Parts http://www.armyjeepparts.com/ which are;
Painting Tips:

Keep it clean, take your time and enjoy yourself. Be safe and wear your respirator !
If you have any specific information that would be of
help to others, Email us and we will review it for possible posting.
THANKS

tip
AJP recommends the reduction of Gillespie Coatings with a
SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER. This is accomplished at a ratio of 2:1,
paint to reducer. Most brands are fine, such as NAPA or PPG, etc; just as
long as its a SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER.

paint tech
application notes from
gillespie coatings inc.:

The following specs are reproduced from GCI's product data bulletin March 23, 2001. These specs apply to all the GCI paints sold by AJP.

Recommended primer
Red Oxide III

Average drying time @ 78degrees F
To touch = 40 to 60 minutes
Tack free = 4 to 6 hours
Through dry = 12 to 16 hours
Re-coat 1 to 3 hours or wait until after 16 hrs

Application
Optimum application conditions are at
temperatures above 45 degrees F.
( painting of metal in direct sunlight not
recommended for Texas climates) and
where the dew point is at least
5 degrees F. below the application
temperature.

Equipment
Tip size:Conventional .046 - .070
Airless .013 - .015

Atomization pressures:
Main line air supply with moisture trap
Main line 100psi
Fluid (pot)60 - 65psi
Atomizing (gun) 40 - 60psi

Cleanup: Xylene or Mineral Spirits

I started with this

worked to this

Progressed along to get to here

and finished with this

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks