• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 - Tire Size?

dvdkea

I picked up my M1102 trailer today. I was pulling it with my 98 Ford F150 pickup. The trailer rides nice and no issues that I can see so far. I pulled it from Maryland to NY. I am going to work on converting the lights to 12volt and I already found a bunch of information on that subject.

The trailer has the factory size rims and tires on it. It sits up quite a bit higher than my F150 so, the trailer is not stting level when in tow. I was considering getting smaller tires so it would sit lower and level with the tuck.

Has anyone had this issue and how did you address it?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I picked up my M1102 trailer today. I was pulling it with my 98 Ford F150 pickup. The trailer rides nice and no issues that I can see so far. I pulled it from Maryland to NY. I am going to work on converting the lights to 12volt and I already found a bunch of information on that subject.

The trailer has the factory size rims and tires on it. It sits up quite a bit higher than my F150 so, the trailer is not stting level when in tow. I was considering getting smaller tires so it would sit lower and level with the tuck.

Has anyone had this issue and how did you address it?
You can use 8 lug chevy wheels to get it a little lower.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the eight bolt GM rim that is used on the M101 series trailer or GM Suburban or larger GM vehicle. Then put the 225/75/16 BF Goodrich All Terrain tires. These are E rated and will support the loaded weight of the trailer.

This will take the 37" Good year down to approximately 30" tall. Then you can sell the HMMWV tires and rims and cover the cost of the change out.

These are the Tire Specs

225/75R16
115/112S E None 2680 lbs.
80 psi
16/32"
42 lbs. 6-7"
6"
8.8"
NA
29.3"
US

Last edited:

dvdkea

That is my plan, to get a set of the 16 inch rims that fit and sell the original rims\tires. They are in great shape, just too big. I'm assuming i can sell them on this site?

dvdkea

I have a question about the GM wheels. The original rim on the trailer is 6.5 inches between centers on the studs, and the hole for the hub is 4.75 inches. The GM wheels are 6.5 between centers on the studs, but the hole for the hub is 4.5 inches.

Is this going to be a problem? I can see that the hole for the hub on the original rim it a bit over sized. But wanted to make sure before I go and but the GM rims.

Iron Bender

The wheels are lug centric, not hub centric. Meaning that they index to the wheel studs, not the hub. As long as the hole in the center is large enough to fit over the hub or dust cover, that is all that matters. The wheels do not have to be "GM" wheels either. As long as they have the 8x6.5 wheel bolt pattern, they could be from a Chevy/GMC, Dodge, pre-1999 Ford or the aftermarket.

xiongy

Iron Bender is correct. I just recently replaced the wheels on my M1101 with wheels from a Chevy 2500 HD. The cargo bed is now 30" from the ground.

mj1angier

Just got my M1101 home and this will be my first change... well the second, as I already changed the .mil light plug for a civi 7 plug.

dvdkea

I was able to get 2 GM wheels with decent tires on them. Put them on this afternoon and they bring the trailer down to a more manageable height.

Now, I have the 2 original rims with what looks like a very new set of the goodyear 37 inch tires on them. I would say they have 95% or the tread on them, No cracks, etc. I am going to put them up for sale in the clasified area but I have nothing to compare them to to see what a reasonable price is. I'll keep looking...

mj1angier

Got a line on a set of chev 16.5 rims and tires. I know, I know, weird size, hard to find tire size, but there are 4 of them with almost new tires. Going to check them out. Price is good, almost free!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size tires do the rims have on ? I would price them with what feels fair. The nice thing I have seen in the steel soldiers community is that for the most part items are fairly priced.

Thanks for the update, glad things worked out!!

Randy567

I'm new here "first post" .. I'm looking for a M1101 wheel cylinder right side and for a complete bearing set for one side... anyone have a source, rather buy a set than run it all down one by one. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks