• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modifying M101A2 Wheel wells

michigan4x4

Hey guys..

I searched but could not find anything on the subject of modifying the wheel wells on a M101A2 trailer. I know this has to be done to fit a communications shelter in them but I am looking at doing this for more space to accommodate 4x8 sheets of plywood and eventually a quad.

If I were to section out two inches or so from each fender well and re-weld in steel pieces would I have issues with the tires rubbing etc? Would I need spacers? My trailer is not here so I cant really take measurements now, just something I was thinking of doing to make trips to the local Home depot a bit more easy. Seems like uncle same would have at least designed these trailers with 4ft in between the fender wells.

Ideas? Links? Advice?

Thanks
Jeff

michigan4x4

The other option is to cut the welds loose and move the fenders out a bit.
Yeah... that is probably what I would end up doing...That was probably the exact thing that was in my head, just didnt translate it to words correctly...

Has anyone ever done this? I am sure someone has.

Thanks
Jeff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of one in progress but he changed the axle to match his M1009 so can't report on the tire clearance issue.

KsM715

I just went out and measured mine. On my a2 I have 4" from the wheelwell to the tread as it sits on the ground and about 3" from the wheelwell to the bulge in the sidewall, thats about 4"-6" below the bed of the trailer. I think if you took 2 inches out you would be ok unless you really stuffed that tire up into the wheelwell offroad.

harleyhouse

Here are pictures of a friends 116A build.
Same deal he needed 48" between the tubs for a pop up camper to fit.
He measured then cut the inside off with a cut off wheel in a disk grinder.
A plasma cutter would be even faster.

Then use a card board mock up to bend the floor and side of the tub.
one piece and weld it in.

Attachments

michigan4x4

Thanks and will do... Might not be for awhile.. Need to get some spring cleaning out of the way before I begin working on my "toys". After the wheel wells are widened, I will be looking at either getting the bed lined by a pro, or using a kit to do it myself.

Jeff

se2000

Another option would to build a little platform on both sides of the wheel wells to slide the sheets on. You could then load other stuff underneath. You should be able to knock it out quickly for some cheap money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks