• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Afterburner Test Vid

ratat98

I've been following this guy on youtube for quite a while and I sure wish I had his job! He works at a jet engine test facility in Canada. Here's one of my favorite vids:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SH5953iQ6w&feature=relmfu[/media]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I can't see those here at work, but a guy that works here, used to work at GE. He said during one of their engine tests, 2min in, a bunch of yellow dust flew out of the exhaust. Seems an 8ft fiberglass ladder can pass through that turbine and not blow it up! He said they got reemed real good when it came up missing.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That model engine was used in the F4. Much like engines on older B52s it provides a smoke screen for the plane.

I was working on the flight deck one day on one of our F4s. We had to do a full power (no afterburner) turn up to test the auto-throttle used when landing. I was standing in front of the intake a few feet away turning the AOA probe (Angle Of Attack) and listening to the engines run through their power range when all at once we found the problem. The engines went into full afterburner. There is a special chain that attached to the aircraft when using afterburner on the deck, it wasn't on and the thing was lunging forward like a caged animal trying to get at its prey, me. I noticed a lot of air getting sucked by me to wards the screen and then it dawned on me. Turn the probe the other way. Doh!!

I've been standing and working next to a lot of those engines while they were taking a cat-stroke down the deck. Loved it then and still have fond memories.

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks