• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel in m37?

dodgem37

Sorry for my anglish!!!!

isuzu 4BD1-T (3.9L 4 cyl Diesel) in my m37, is good or not good ?

(specs)
4BD1-T (3.9L 4 cyl Diesel)
121@ 3000
232 @ 2200
721 pounds dry

Notes:
31 inches long, 27 inches wide and about 30 inches tall.

CGarbee

RE: Diesel on m37?

Sounds like a good one. Matching it to a transmission, fabricating mounts, plumbing it up (cooling, fuel, exhaust line routing) needs to be looked (roughly) before you get too deep (just make sure that everything looks like it will fit under the hood) and you shoudl be good to go.
What flywheel adapter (bellhousing) pattern does it have? SAE #2, #3, or GM, for example?

Good luck,

dodgem37

i not keep the original m37 trany. my diesel engine come whit trany 5 speeds. will the diesel engine you it be strong?

CGarbee

OK, so you don't have to worry about getting a clutch and hooking up the transmission to the engine if you got a five speed with the engine. Is the five speed overdrive or direct (what is the ratio for the gears?)? Transmission that was mounted behind the engine should be plenty strong for a M37, only question will be what the final gear ratios will be (speed/fuel consumption/power) and that will depend on the transmission gears, if you keep the axles stock or changne to 4.89, and diameter of tires (stock or larger)...

dodgem37

Diff: 5:83
Hydrolique clutch
Tire: 900-16
i dont no the ratio of the transmission, but is the transmission for truck gmc forward 4000 1988 .

dodgem37

Ok! Monday i take pic of my set-up.

My bad luck is that the tank oil has is too close to the diffentiel. But I will regulate the problem while raising the truck of 4 inch with block between the spring .

to modify the resevoire has oil, No! I lift the truck . one stone two blow

my the worst feared is than the truck you it will have the power to assemble a coline(mountain) or same to tow

if a person has information on the transmission of a gmc forward 4000 1988 handbook(standart) 5 speed. (the ratio example) would be appreciated.
Thank you very much !!!!!!!!!

CGarbee

I had to put 2" (two inch) tall blocks in mine to help clear the oil pan. Just make sure that you make a new indexing pin to go through the block that contacts both the hole in the spring pad and in the shortest spring so that things stay aligned. I know some folks who then weld the blocks onto the axle, but mine are not and have never shifted...
I've taken mine in some rough offroad areas, thing to do is to go easy on the throttle (gas pedel) and try to idle or slowly go over things instead of going at higher engine rpm. Less chance of breaking things if you go slow and easy and use the lower end torque of the diesel.
I've been looking for transmission info for those GMC trucks for a while, I let you know if I find anything.
Best wishes.

No.2Diesel

I think anything would be better than japanease. Perkins, Volvo, Scania, MAN, Deutz, Mercedes, would be awesome. Nothing Oriental :x should come within a hundred feet of these things. There's just sometthing wrong with that. I cringe when I see a Hino, or Fuso cab over truck.

I could see if you lived in Cuba and that was the only thing available or similar emergency.

CGarbee

Considering the global nature of manufacture, I don't think that you could really call any of these truly American/Japanese/German/British ect... I'd personnaly rather see the truck going up and down the road being useful than rotting in a field or getting smelted down.

The Isuzu engine in the transplant that DieselM37 has may have been a much better deal (price, availability, parts supply, etc.) than any other diesel that most of us think about using in a repower and since he is in Canada, his issues are a little different than those in my area.

Even purchasing a US name engine built in the USA gives one something that isn't what it appears to be:
The engine in my M37 was built in North Carolina, but the block was cast in Japan (Komatsu joint venture with Cummins...), the turbo was built in Britain (Holset, aka Cummins Turbo Technologies), fuel injector pump is German (Bosch). I haven't tried to track the sources of the rest of the parts...

citizensoldier

Right on Garbee!! No such thing as made in the USA in the car world anymore... Those days are gone forever...That little Izuzu is probably a runner.. I say go for it... He is in Canada like you said. They have a whole different set of vehicles laying around up there. Iltis,and so on...

CGarbee

RE: diesel engine in m37

A Gama Goat engine is a fine choice for a repower... At least one person on this site has a Detroit 3-53N in his M37 and I know of a couple others who do as well... Wear your hearing protection (not a dig at the Detroit, I do the same with my Cummins...).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks