• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-painting 1998 M101A3

OH58D

Looking to re-paint my camo 1998 M101A3 to a desert tan color. Has anyone had any issues painting over the CARC paint using standard automotive grade paint? A local custom paint and body shop would be doing the work. When I mentioned painting over the CARC, he seemed concerned about how the new paint would adhere and hold up.

Any thoughts on this?
Regards,
OH58D

busbart

well, you can do two things; 1 try a little piece with the paint you like to use, and see how it reacts.

2, paint the trailer before with a two component epoxi primer, to isolate the new paint from the unknown (quality) old paint, (that's a good painters common practice) and put the new paint on top of that layer, so you know nothing will happen with the new paint, because that is from the same paintsystem your painter will use. (and therefore is formulated so that it wil NOT react with the new paint.)

ENTRAIL

I just painted my M101A3 with Rustoleum spray cans. Just scuffed up the CARC with a fiber pad and painted it. No issues, holds up real good. If it scratches, just hit it again with the rattle can. It's a trailer not a show car so I'm not too concered. Good luck.:beer: