• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken M101A2

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Know, I Know, I Know, M101A2's are not designed to dumped, but it's hard not to. I've busted the shackel bracke at the pivot point. Not sure why the used cast (pot metal), but it's broke. Any suggestions on new brackets or old brackes or re-manufactured brackets.
Thanks
Bob.

quickfarms

Yes they brake but they are not pot metal. The pivoting action cause the tab to flex and brake. If you loosen the bolts they will last longer but you really need some sort of ball end or heim joint.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they brake but they are not pot metal. The pivoting action cause the tab to flex and brake. If you loosen the bolts they will last longer but you really need some sort of ball end or heim joint.
What would you loosen? Any thoughts on what to fab a new bracket out of, and are the brackets availiable. Have you given this any thought, we might try to fabricate a new bracket.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Know, I Know, I Know, M101A2's are not designed to dumped, but it's hard not to. I've busted the shackel bracke at the pivot point. Not sure why the used cast (pot metal), but it's broke. Any suggestions on new brackets or old brackes or re-manufactured brackets.
Thanks
Bob.
There is nothing wrong with the design or type of metal used , when used for it's intended purpose. The problem is when they are used for something they were not designed to do , they break . There is enough threads on broken M101's to start a forum section on SS. Try White Owl for parts or search some of the other brothen trailer threads there may be links to part sources in them.

blybrook

There was an idea to utilize ball link ends from a 3 point style hitch as a replacement bracket in one of the other threads. I have the ends myself, but have yet to find anyone with pictures of them installed and I have yet to make this modification myself. I don't utilize the dumping ability, but purchased them from Tractor Supply Company in case I ever wanted to make the modification.

Good luck with however you decide to make this repair and remember nopics

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WORK is getting in the way of my Green habit. Trailer is still out in the woods, will take pics this week end. Photo from TM would be part #1. Not sure if part is available. Haven't had time to even look the part # up yet. Parts trailer perhaps??. Thanks to all for input, still trying to figure this one out.
Bob.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep if you broke that casting you are up a creek, it is riveted to the frame. Would have to have a parts trailer.

quickfarms

There are three solutions that I have been working on. I have to many other projects right now but I do need to get the trailer fixed so I can haul brush.

Design 1 involves bolting a piece of angle to the frame and using a heim or ball end as the pivot point for the tongue

Design 2 involves using a piece of flat stock to connect the tongue to the spring bolts, this could also be done with ball ends

Design 3 is to shorten the tongue and replacing the bolt hole with a tractor ball end

se2000

I bought one with the primary idea to use as a dumper. Probably with some sort of hydraulic ram. We need to join our collective heads and come up with a design. I haven't seen any mods along this way. Anyone know of any threads?

se2000

I see all the time where the 1/4 tons are tailgated, and put on 35's. dueces are bobbed.
Since I have served my time, the government won't be recalling me or my trailer back. So why not rebuild it? Give it a new purpose other than riding in a parade.
The bed of mine has so many holes drilled in it where stuff got bolted to it over the years, I won't be the first.
Hundred have been used this way, why not figure out how to do it right?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do it right?

Pull the bed and build a complete frame with a dump hoist on top of it.

Anything less than a full framed, hydraulic hoist dump, is insufficient.

And I really do not think the bed is all that great for a dump bed, to start with(either).

harleyhouse

I would build a triangulated tongue that has a straight pivot to the frame.
not the front eye hanger, and make it a true dump.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMChjk8cUTM[/media]