• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look what santa got me

davesgmc

I got to bring the deuce (sesame street truck) home yesterday. I went out to where it was stored early Saturday morning to start taking the drive shafts out in preparation to tow it home. The place it was parked was up against t a building where the roof drains come out. It was quite muddy under and around the truck. I took a tarp with me to put under the truck to lie on. That didn’t help too well, the moisture and cold seeped right through it after a few minutes of laying on it. To the rescue were the floor mats from the back of my dodge caravan. Those seemed to work very well. It took a 5/8 socket and wrench to get the bolts off. All of them came off fairly easily. The front shaft was a bit more difficult. I had to use the caravan to pull the truck forward a bit to get the shaft in correct position to get one bolt out. Surprisingly the caravan pulled I with hardly any effort at all. I got all three shafts out and tied them up with wire. The owner finally showed up so I could exchange money for title. Just before the owner showed up a friend, Greg showed up with his deuce and the tow bar to tow it home for me. The tow bar he has is HUGE! It took tow of us to pick it up and carry it. It took a winch to pick it up off the ground and get it in the back of his truck even! We got the title, hooked up the truck with the tow bar. Then Greg took a short trip around the yard where it was to make sure it was going to tow all right. Everything seemed fine. Time for a few pics before we head off. Then I followed him all the way home,,,slowly home. The trip was about 35 miles or so. He was going speeds between 35-45 most of the way. We got it home, rolled it into the driveway and used my ferret to pull it up the driveway where its resting place is right now.
Later that day I took a vacuum to it and sucked out as much dust, dirt and even a mouse out of the interior. The mouse just didn’t have a chance, and yes, I let the mouse go in the field around back. I then took the garden hose and a bit of soap to the interior, engine and most of the exterior. Washing away a few years worth of gravel dust from sitting in that parking lot. After it was all washed and rinsed, I hooked up a battery charger to it (24 volt) and gave the lights a try. All of the ones that are still actually there seemed to work fine, dash lights even came on. I hit the starter and it actually spun over for a second before the battery charger's circuit breaker popped.
Next step is to drain all fluids, refill all of them and see if it actually fires up....wish me luck, I'll keep ya informed. Oh and thanks a TON Greg!

alphadeltaromeo

Glad to see that you two were able to secure the new truck and get it home without a serious incident. Congrats on the new truck and best wishes with it!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well at least the paint job is as festive as the season. :D Congrats on getting it home safe. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

m.walker

Cool Dave , that tow bar looks familiar . Oh I see it's been on both ends of Gregs truck ! Wonder how many things thats been hooked to ? Now all the fun starts , any updates yet ? I started tinkering with mine as soon as I got home !I love it ( the sesame street truck ) THATS FUNNY !!!I'd just paint the hardtop and leave it on , But pull the sides off the bed and then just clean and paint .I'm half tempted to buy the one off Dale but I've got two more 5 tons to go look at !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks