• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a unimog

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If any one can tell me what all the switches do inside that would help me out.
That is a nice looking 404! It's not a Swiss version, might be Belgium, do you know? Are those fold down bed sides? Do you have a large tow chain with master ring across between the rear frame ends?

There is no standard Unimog. :| Each country that ordered 404 Unimogs for their military specified how they wanted them equipped. That applied to all the dash switches and even the meters/gauges. If you could include a picture of which switches you are referring to, no doubt the 'mog fans on here can help.

Again, that is a fine looking truck! I'm in the process of rejuvenating a French 404 from 1957 and can't wait to get it back on the road again.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That clears up the mystery on the 3rd switch,just need to figure out what the fourth one does
The big chain and ring on the rear confirms you have a Belgium truck. Both my trucks are German and 3rd switch is for a work light, 4th switch for electric transfer switch for fuel (for radio box heater), but that is probably not what your 3rd and 4th switches do.

TennesseeColonel may read this and let you know switch usage on his Belgium truck.

Small joke: You may not put 'trucknutz' on your truck, it is female. You may put a skirt over that big master ring on the rear if you so desire.:oops:

Tennessee Colonel

LH 4 switches on my Belgian Mog: Instrument Lights; Heater; Map light; Windshield washer
(last one is push button).

RH 2 switches: L & R wiper motor controls.

Toggle on doghouse: turn signals.

This is how my '67 is configured.

saddamsnightmare

April 8th, 2012.

Nice truck, regret it's Belgian as the switch layout may be different then the Swiss ones. Just turn them one at a time when the truck is on, you'll figure out which switch does what! My MB mechanics around here almost always have to call in a German speaking customer, because they can't remember the switches and are too dumb to read the english language manual in the door box.:twisted:
N.B. Also: Don't exceed 60 KMP very often as the transmissions and transfer cases on this model are not intended for extended high speed running! Having said that, mine did 750 miles in 3 days in 104*F weather coming up from Texas, but they were really long days and the pools looked good in the evening at the hotels!

:driver:

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just took it for its first drive,the brakes seem to hang up.Im going to take it to work monday and look at it.Any ideas
The rubber flex tubes (one to each front brake, one to front torque tube, one to rear torque tube) can squeeze shut from age. Once that happens the brakes still work but can be slow to release.

You can determine which ones are bad by what brake does not release.

Hint, if you suspect a hose is restricted, press really hard on the brakes for several minutes then see if the brake releases. The pressure will open up the hose. This is not a repair, just a diagnostic.

Of course you could have a sticky slave cylinder, or 4.

Bob

UNIMOG-GUY

I would also check the wheel cylinders. When I got my first 404 my brakes didn't work. I had to replace all 4 (they can be rebuilt) and I went ahead and replaced the rubber hoses just to be safe incase they had collapsed due to age. This way I only had to bleed the brakes once.

Nice score.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks