• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towbar sleeves

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would be interested in this as well. I have a medium towbar with one leg that doesn't have a collar and I think I know where there are a few mediums that aren't upgraded I'd like to have.

So, 3 questions:

1. Does anyone have the "real" military MWO kits?

2. If not, then the following questions apply:

A. What metal should they be made out of? I can't imagine it's anything special, you should be able to go to steel supplier and get some steel pipe and cut it to length and have a ton of kits!

B. Anyone have the exact dimensions of the MWO collars?

Thanks fellas. I need to get this done before I sandblast and CARC my bar and put Polverone's nifty repro stickers on it :-D

Last edited:

Army Ed

i can run across the street in a few minutes and check out what we have.We tossed out 2 the snapped.but still had good pieces on them.We got the new M915A4's so we got rid of allot of our smaller stuff.Those towbars are heaaavvveyyyyyyy 385lbs..ouch

Jones

I've never seen one of the original MWO kits but have worked around steel for a few years so...
The sleeves should be a good grade of medium to high carbon steel; not necessarily 4140 chrome-moly, just not water pipe.
The kit sleeves may even be seamless. Extra work but these could be made out of steel round stock and bored to size.
They should be a light slip fit over the leg after it's paint has been removed.
The leg should be pre-heated, and after welding allowed to cool slowly to keep from creating stress risers. NOT quenched.

Sephirothq

While we are on the subject.
Does anyone have one of the insert bars? There are two on a towbar setup. the part that goes inside the outer tube. I broke one.

So let me know if there is one bar to be had
thanks

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tow bars breaking is a symptom of them being too hard. Sleeves, even made from mild steel, would be a vast improvement, in that application.

Lee in Alaska

Jones

True Lee. The sleeve is there mostly to provide extra wall thickness. That's why you want to guard against hardening them further in the welding process.
The mention of not using water pipe is because a lot of the steel coming from overseas is beyond sub-standard.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Guys, the collar upgrades are in our TM section. They have exact sizes and tell you what settings your welder needs to be on for correct penetration of the weld.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kenny was nice enough to send me a MWO set. If someone needs more answers than what the TM says, I'll see what I can do for you, as I have yet to "stick" them on the bar.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC I got the complete setup, sleeves, TM and some blue stuff to check the temp of the weld all in a kit. My weary memory tells me I got it from Shade Tree Recycling. They have a store on Ebay. Russ passed away a couple of years back but his son is minding the store. Hope I remembered OK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks