• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up M353 at MacDill today

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I got everything ready last night for the 80+- mile trip to Tampa. It is a good thing I did too or I would have found out this morning the locking hitch pin keys were missing (They are ALWAYS in the center console). I ended up hammering/prying it off which made it unlock.

The site is unmanned and the GL fellow is there about every 2 weeks. He gave me a ring and said anytime after 7AM would be ok. I made it there around 8am and met him at the visitor center just before the main gate. This was my first recovery at a base (unlike Jacksonville) so the process was new to me. We got a number for a visitor pass and I gave the fellow my license registration and insurance. He promptly rejected my insurance stating it was expired and sure enough the card was old. They had a phone there just for people like me to call their insurance and request a fax. I did so and 15 minutes later I had my pass.

Of note, the traffic on Dale Mabrey can get rather thick during rush hour, stay in the right hand lane all the way to the roundabout if you want to pull into the visitor center.

I followed the GL rep up to the gate and was greeted by a pleasant enlistee who asked where I was going and I said I do not know but the fellow in the black car there does, all I know it is the DRMO lot. He said to have a good day and that was that.

We arrived at the lot and I had a look around. He showed me a few items I was interested in and even started some vehicles for me. We found my M353 and it looked in good shape. He offered to help me hook it up which was a snap with his assistance. He even knew how to use the landing gear, brakes and all. He made sure it rolled and tires were ok. I checked it over, and put the magnetic trailer lights on, he gave me a few zip ties as my bread ties looked very sad and ill suited to the task. I looked for looks items, made sure the landing gear retaining pins had clips in them. I did end up using my chain extensions as the built in ones were 1 inch short.

I was extremely happy that my pintle setup was plenty high enough. I know everyone said it would be fine but I did not want to be that guy who bottomed out the huge trailer because his setup wasn't high enough. Take a look at the picture, I think it is within 2 inches of level. My truck for reference is a stock height RAM 2500 4x4 with 285's on it. The pintle plate is a 8 position model and the pintle is a 8 ton dual purpose unit (Has a ball too).

Before I left he had me pull it a few feet to make sure none of the brakes were stuck, and they weren't. Towing it home was a breeze. Aside from a little bounciness on some portions of the road it was like it wasn't even there. No one tailgated me the entire drive. When we got closer to home I hit one particularly large bump and saw the trailer get a little air.. and the tires deform slightly when it rebounded. In hindsight I should have checked the air pressure rather than just looking and feeling. I am pretty sure they are a little low.

I stopped at a fast food place that serves great chicken breakfast burritos on the way home and checked the hubs to see if they were hot (2nd time, first was at the gas station in the pics). They felt warm but not hot. There were some people checking out the trailer when I came out, it is pretty cool looking with those big tires and fenders.

So it is now home safe and sound. I noted the CARC flaking in places. Is it ok to take a scraper and take of what comes off easily (I know sanding it is a no no)? My goal is to repaint it, even if it is just a rust neutralizer right over the CARC then a top coat. I want it to last a while.

Thanks for reading, and suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I think I have decided the MEP002 and fuel tank are going on this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice trailer! I was planning to get one for a long time to make a trailer for a small 3k clark forklift I had. Sold the forklift so no need for it now.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering if any SS members got one of those. I was watching them when they came up on GL (don't see vehicles or trailers come up for auction here at MacDill often) but held off on bidding on them. Glad things went well. And congrats on the new toy. :)

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks, I had to get my warm up EUC done somehow :) Now to find out how to restore it and paint it so it last me a long time.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on a smooth recovery Brian. That a pretty nice looking trailer. You should have plenty of room for the 002a and an aux fuel tank on that beast.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks! How do we normally bolt 002s and 003s to trailers being they are skid mounted? I want to drill the least amount of holes as possible.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the skid frame of the 002a, there should already be 4 holes around the frame for bolting it down.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I was thinking of painting it carc ultra flat black. I inherited some decent painting equipment, I bet a trailer is a good first item to paint. I have done house paint, but nothing "real" like this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks