• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stencils for M101A1

1943ht

Got all of my goodies from Rick Larson today .. was hoping I could see a few pics of finished M101 trailers with all their markings (Stars, Unit Markings, etc) .. I have the TM on markings .. but my TBI/cognitive damaged brain :( does much better with visuals .. am hoping for pics of all 4 sides of the trailer.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got all of my goodies from Rick Larson today .. was hoping I could see a few pics of finished M101 trailers with all their markings (Stars, Unit Markings, etc) .. I have the TM on markings .. but my TBI/cognitive damaged brain :( does much better with visuals .. am hoping for pics of all 4 sides of the trailer.

So Mark, do you really have a hard copy of AR 746-2300-1? Man, that would certainly be handy to anyone trying to properly mark military vehicles. The closest I could get to proper trailer marking was a letter in PS Magazine from 1962, Issue # 110 on page 40.

Do you possibly know where I might find an "Order of March" FM or similiar publication? I would really like to find a correct column placement for an M-42 Command / Radio Truck in an Engineering Battlion. I imagine it would be somewhere toward the front of the second element (maybe vechicle 33 to 45?) but behind the combat vehicles to the front.

I should be getting some pictures of my M101A1 trailer in the next few days which has just been marked to the best info we could find in old (VN) manuals, internet searches and webpages for old Engineer units. If you want I could post the pictures or PM them to you.

They may not be what you want as I focused on pre-Tet VN.

Storm 51

1943ht

Storm 51, please post any pics to mkoloc44@yahoo.com .. that would be most appreciated

Regards order of march .. Wow that's an interesting question .. many FM's on Armor or Mech infantry will show the commander / CMD Vehicle following the first element in the column .. There is no set rule on that!!! Unit SOP's and METT-T will dictate the commanders location in a march unit .. I can tell you from experience that leaders lead from the front .. Always leaning forward in the foxhole so to speak ...march columns are not dictated by vehicle bumper numbers, and are adjusted to meet the situation always. In desert storm, combat units moved using the "Death Star" formation which was a diamond formation with control and command elements located in the center of the diamond .. hope this helps!

steelandcanvas

These items may help you.

4-45 PAINTING.​
a. Instructions for the preparation of material for painting, methods of painting, and materials to be
used are contained in TM 43-0139, Painting Instructions for Army Materiel.
b. Instructions for camouflage painting are contained in PM 20-3, Camouflage, and TB 43-0209, Color,
Marking and Camouflage Painting of Military Vehicles, Construction Equipment, and Materials
Handling Equipment.
4-46 STENCILING.​
Refer to TB 43-0209 for instructions on application of stencils.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Mark!

I'll email those pictures as soon as I get them. I hope they help.

I have always thought the bumper numbers were the order of march. It is interesting to hear that they are not. It would explain some of the markings that have seemed like anomalies that I've noticed.

I'm sure commanders always like to be up front at the FEBA (leaning forward in the turret, so to speak) but it can be kind of rough on the captains and lieutenants when the Colonel up there messing around in their company or platoon.:D

I sort of expected that we would have used a diamond or "Death Star" formation in Iraq as opposed to wedge since there really was no fixed front and your rear really couldn't be considered "secure". Especially if you're bypassing a lot of features.

I hope your truck is going well, and I'll get you those pictures soon.

Thanks again for the help!

Storm 51

CatMan

Stencils For M101A1

Here are two views of our M105 trailer with correct markings for 1969 era.

The 3/4 ton trailer is the same locations.

Which type of material did you get from Rick? Stencil, paint mask or adheasive letters? Each are applied differently. I've used all three methods. Tell us which one and we'll point out some tips we learned for a better job.

Rick Larsen is a great vendor with highest quality products.

Cat Man

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks