• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not Just Another "Just Picked Up My New Trailer"...

fyredan

Well, I just picked up my first bit of rolling military surplus, an M105A2 purchased from an online auction from a site in Hooks, Texas.

B4 I say more, thanks to those who posted wiring diagrams and tips for picking up these trailers because I arrived with everything I needed, including replacement LED bulbs, a home-crafted wiring adapter to go from 4-pin to the military trailer harness (and it worked right away), etc.

But that is not what really stood out about my trip to the Red River Army Depot. What struck me most was the actual drive through the RRAD to get the trailer and then to get it back off the base.

For those who have never been there, it is a collector's dream. All kinds of awesome vehicles and parts - the kind of vehicles that go anywhere, handle almost anything, and boost your testosterone level just getting near them. Just seeing them made me want to rush back and find more work to raise more money for more auctions for more machines. You guys know what I mean.

Then I saw one with large bullet dents across the side, and another with blackened, shattered glass and a right front quarter panel that looked like it was blown to bits. Then there were others t hat had clearly been hit by bad things, and still others that had hit bad things. And I thought about the fact that, when the hitting occurred, there were probably soldiers - American soldiers - in these vehicles.

I don't know how to explain it, but it changed my attitude. I felt differently. It may sound stupid or sappy, but this heavy duty trailer is not just a trailer. It carried supplies for American troops. As seen in a picture I found online, soldiers may have taken breaksand rest on the ground around it, in it's shade and cover. They may have climbed out of the truck pulling it, M-16s loaded, ready to go, during training or in actual combat. It adds a whole different level to collecting these things.

What I realized is that the military surplus vehicles are not just stout, nearly un-stoppable, sometimes literally bullet-proof power machines; they are not just pieces or American history and examples of American military strength; they are tied with the lives of the men who drove them, lived in them, rode on tlhem, bled in them, trusted them to get them out of trouble, and sometimes rode them straight into trouble, often knowing they were doing that, but doing it, anyway, because they were asked to.

I guess I just get something now that many don't get, and I get it on a deeper level than I got it before. I've never, ever, lost respect for America's fighting men and now women, but driving through rows of battled scarred steel warriors woke me up a bit to the ugliness our men and women have endured, and are stille enduring, for us.

Hope this isn't too long or too off-topic for posting. If so, delete it, thump me on the head, I'll get the message and I hope you'll forgive me.

As for the trailer, I drove it nearly 10 hours, through the Ozark mountains, behind my 1992 Chevy K1500, and it never had any problems. No sticking brakes, no wheel bearing issues. The only problems I can see that keep it from being in perfect condition is the paint, and I can live with that in a trailer I bought for work. Well worth the $600 total I have in it now, including the auction price, wiring adapter, LED lights, and the gas to go get it and bring it back. Doubt you'll get a trailer this heavy and solid for that price anywhere else.

--Dan M.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and GREAT first post!!! Just in time for Memorial Day

KaiserM109

My thoughts about your M105A2: About all those shot up and dented vehicles at Hooks, TX, those were most likely used in training and ordinance testing; that kind of stuff never, ever comes back from overseas.

I was in the 15th Combat Engr Bn., 9th IF and 1/11th Artillery, 9th IF., Vietnam. In the artillery we used M105s as ammunition trailers and for general cargo. I slept in one on several “excursions” to remote fire and radar bases, a couple of times I chose to sleep under it. An M105 weighs in at, I believe, 2700 lb. empty. It is rated to carry 2.5 tons and I can vouch for that number, plus maybe another ton.

About towing it behind your Chevy, you didn’t pick the best of trailers for that purpose. Your problem is first that you can’t hook up to its brakes; they are air actuated. If it is a fairly late model, it will have a “relay valve” which means it will store air in a small tank and lock up the brakes with it if the main supply is lost. Hint, if you do ever charge that tank up, drain it when you park it because it will lock your brakes up when you unhook.

I have 2 M105A2s and an MKT-85 which is a Mobile Kitchen Trailer on the same chassis. I have a deuce to pull them. I am guessing your Chevy is good for towing up to 5,000 lb. but that implies with trailer brakes. I have heard of guys putting on electric brakes, but I don’t have any 1st hand experience. Talk to a trailer expert about it.

My suggestion is to trade your M105 for an M101A2 (not M101A1). I have an M101A1 and am about to take delivery on an M101A2 from Hooks, TX. I have used the 101 many times and have definitely felt the need for brakes, particularly in the mountains. That is why I bought the 101A2 which has surge brakes.

After buying the A2 and chatting with SS members I located surge brake parts which I will pick up this weekend for my A1. My A1 has front spindles from a ’74 Ford Bronco which gives me the same bolt pattern as my ’69 Bronco, ’68 Jeep Commando and my son’s ’60 Willys. Ever seen a trailer with lockout hubs and studded snow tires? The M101A2 will be used behind my ’84 Jeep J20 pickup when we get it put back together. I am hoping it has the same bolt pattern; both are 8 lugs, but I don’t know what diameter.

Good luck with your M105, but I strongly suggest you use it as trading material.

Deucenut

Fyredan,

I know how you feel. Though I have not been in the military I have been around military personnel all my life and have a great respect for those who serve our country. One of the reasons I have my deuce is because of the history involved with the truck. It is a constant reminder of those who have given up much, up to their lives, for our freedom. Your post is well written and well received. Thanks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome,

I have been there twice picking up trailers and got "accidentally" lost twice so I could gawk. The fields full of humvees awaiting up Armour is staggering. I saw lots of 5 tons, mraps, and up armored wreckers that looked like civilian versions except the armored cab. Watched wrecker school for a few minutes as they praticed uprighting mraps on their side.

It is a cool mv place and lots of big and little trailers also. Also saw some tracked armored vehicles. Hhmets were also roaming around. Watched humvees leaving the line also.:)

Enjoy,

Juan

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About all those shot up and dented vehicles at Hooks, TX, those were most likely used in training and ordinance testing; that kind of stuff never, ever comes back from overseas.
This statement is completely incorrect. EVERY DAY now I see numerous commercial haulers transporting Iraq-returned vehicles from the wharves at Galveston, TX, up Hwy 59 to Texarkana. The RORO ships are coming in every few days.

3dAngus

NDT, I believe you, but find it shocking, with the hundreds of $billions of dollars of equipment we are leaving over there, because it is "to expensive to ship home", they would want to bring back M105s on their limited shipping budget.

Isn't the government reasoning grand? Weird stuff.

KaiserM109

About equipment returning from Iraq, I certainly do not have 1st hand experience, so take my opinion for what it is worth.

I have been told that prior to Iraq, very little equipment ever returned from an overseas combat zone, particularly equipment that was not servicable. I have seen pictures of a HUGE scrap yard in Iraq, in fact I think they were posted here on SS. I am quite sure that they are not loading up that scrap and bringing it home.

My M109A3 shop van served in Iraq from, I believe 2002 to 2003, with the Arkansas National Guard. I am told that it came home because of an agreement between the Federal Gov't and the Nat. Guard units, who actually own the equipment. That agreement is that any NG equipment will be returned if servicable.

About the equipment NDT has seen at Galveston, I would bet my pink slip that it is all servicable equipment and it is very likely NG equipment. I am hoping, though that the Feds have changed the rules so that federal equipment isn't left behind. Iraq has been enough of a burden on our economy. Having to replace all that equipment on the taxpayers' $ would be rather severe.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fyredan,

Welcome to the site. Your in good company around here. Enjoy your new toy and hopefully some day soon you will add to your motor pool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks