• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M146 Build

moosebgy

Well, I finally got one and now the fun starts. Going to make this into an offroad camping/hunting trailer. At least that's the plans for now. Here's a few pics before the carnage begins. Going to strip down the inside so I can really insulate it and plumb my woodstove and get a good look at the metal. Will also insulate the underside, hang black/gray water tanks and what ever else.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice save!

Do a search on thread started by ArmyMan30Years+, he died a few years back, but he had a great thread on taking a M200 or M105 trailer and making a dolly trailer out of it.

moosebgy

Maddawg: That's where I got the idea to start this was from Armyman's dolly build and will use his plans when I start mine.

Rayzer: It's in real good shape for a 1964 vintage. It looks like the brake lines were completely redone. The floor and inside and clean and it still has all the inside lights both 24volt and 110. Kinda hate stripping it down but must have insulation up here. We got the trailer for a good price but the shipping to Alaska SUCKED!!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Congrats on the 146, mine had just gotten rewired and new brakes before it was released. Sgt Snuffy forgot to tighten down a ferrule nut on one of the air brake lines and the tube shot out on it first pre tow inspection so it was an easy fix. I used roofing sealer on all the outer seams before I repainted. I need a dolly.

Attachments

moosebgy

Well, I got the dolly done for the most part. Needs a little more done to it but it fits and now I can move the trailer around the yard alot easier. I didn't install any other cross bracing on it now but I can later on if it needs it. I just used 1/2 inch steel plate to mount the fifth wheel on and since it's just going to be used for the 146 it don't think weight will be an issue. Luckily the fenders on the m200 were just bolted on so they came off easily. I left the front portion on so I could still use the parking brakes and also easy access to the airline hookups and pigtail.

Attachments

moosebgy

Rayzer, Thanks, there is some expanded metal in the furture for between the frame rails. I probably will end up putting some bracing on there. It looks like it's missing something. But at least for now it should be ok for moving it around.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Do you have the 5th wheel set so the trailer pin is JUST in front of the axle by about 4 to 6 inches (can be more but not less), if not it WILL pull like crap at speed

Last edited:

moosebgy

Did just a little more work on the dolly. Put in some extra bracing and moved the fifth wheel ahead a few more inches. Hopefully take it out this weekend for a little shakedown run and see how it works before everything gets welded down for good. Also hope to have it ready for the next parade up here to show it off a little.

Attachments

plym49

Did just a little more work on the dolly. Put in some extra bracing and moved the fifth wheel ahead a few more inches. Hopefully take it out this weekend for a little shakedown run and see how it works before everything gets welded down for good. Also hope to have it ready for the next parade up here to show it off a little.
Looks good. I assume you have added cross braces front and rear. Suggest you consider adding one dead center as well.

moosebgy

Not much new on the build. But went for the first road test (finally didn't rain) and it went very well. Trailer pulled straight with no problems. Didn't go very far from home just is case. It does look good, at least to me.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty cool - how do you have the air brake lines hooked up? Do they go only to the M200 trailer, or to the M146 trailer, or modified to both?

moosebgy

Dawg: Currently only have air to the 146. Down the road I'll hook up to the 200 for both air and lights. For now it's ready for the Gold Rush Days parade this next month.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks